Driveway Modification - I Can't Get My Car On the Drive

I'd be surprised if that road is maintained by council/highways given the state of it. The simplest option which you'd be allowed to do might be a ramp on your drive across it to lift the front up. at the point where it strikes.

btw you can park across a dropped curb if there is nothing parked on the drive. The restriction is obstructing access to the highway. It would be a pretty anti social thing to do though.

Sponsored Links
The road is just off a larger road, which is in a decent condition, it's just our dead end road that is falling apart. I'll see if I can check later if it is privately maintained.

You do kind of have to pass over a path to get onto it so I don't know if that is a clue.

StreetView.JPG

You do kind of have to pass over a path to get onto it so I don't know if that is a clue.

No dropped kerb from the public road. Suggests it is a private road and may not be recognised by the council as an "approved" vehicle access.

Sponsored Links
Looking at that street view, is there a footpath to the L/H of the section off the main road? If so does it lead anywhere else or is it a dead end?

Looking at that street view, is there a footpath to the L/H of the section off the main road? If so does it lead anywhere else or is it a dead end?

Yes, the main road continues round, and the footpath on the left of my road cuts through to rejoin it.

I would be doing some homework then, still possible that the whole lot is public highway. Land Registry will let you download the Title plan for your property for about £3 I think, which should tell you if you own any of the road in front of your property.

Did you buy the property without the liability for the access road being determined or explained by the conveyancer?

Just ring the council up and ask them.

Did you buy the property without the liability for the access road being determined or explained by the conveyancer?

Just ring the council up and ask them.

I'm pretty sure it was briefly covered at some point but we had so much other stuff to think about at the time that I can't remember what the situation was!

I've had a look at the documentation and there seems to be a bit of conflicting information, so I think I will just contact the council to see if they can confirm!

I'm pretty sure it was briefly covered at some point but we had so much other stuff to think about at the time that I can't remember what the situation was!

I've had a look at the documentation and there seems to be a bit of conflicting information, so I think I will just contact the council to see if they can confirm!

Oh, OK, but access rights and liabilities are pretty important when purchasing a property. Remember for your next house.

I agree with woody, its kinda important to know what is and isn't part of what you bought, go back to the solicitor/conveyancer and ask them if they mind taking a quick look and reminding you of the situation.. Its a 5 min job and they hopefully won't charge you.

On the face of it, it looks like a private shared drive. It may be that the far end house owns the driveway and you have an easement (right to drive on but not park) over their land, in return you probably have an obligation to pick up some of the bill for maintenance. But given the age of the houses it could be a number of different ways. Once you find out who owns the drive, then it could be a polite chat along the lines of - I need to plop a bit concrete down to improve the road, do you mind?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back