Driving in France

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know the requirements for driving in France, i.e. spare bulbs, triangle etc?? Also is green card insurance thing applicable and if so what is it?
Merci tout le monde
Glocko :)

Sponsored Links
glocko said:
Anyone know the requirements for driving in France
You can drive on the left,right and the middle or backward,you can also park on the crossing and at traffic lights,basically drive how you like.The most important thing is to make sure your hooter are working.If you have a accident it will be your faults anyway :)

You'll probably get pulled by "le police" for driving correctly. Remember WWII, all french go in reverse !!! :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Scoby_Beasley said:
You'll probably get pulled by "le police" for driving correctly. Remember WWII, all french go in reverse !!! :LOL: :LOL: ;)

That is unfair, not all the French drove in reverse, half the nation couldn't find reverse so just parked up where they were :D

You sarky b*gg*rs!!! If I get pulled I'll slap you round the road with a bagette!!! :evil: ;)

You need a warning triangle and a spare bulb set. Haven't driven over there for a while but you did need a green card last time I went. The AA would give you advice.

Some advice
here

(BTW leave your brain at home when driving in towns it helps.)

Also AA website is good for advice.

The most important thing is if you have a heavy right foot take a heavy wallet - the cops in France fine you cash on the spot, although I have not tested this theory personallement.

Check with insurance co if covered for continent -

Don't forget your headlamp converters, but check in your manual first, cos some newer models you just flick a switch and they are converted.

GB badges, fire extinguishers maybe, first aid kit, spare lamp kit and if you goto Greece (seriously!) take a pair of spare plates cos if you park illegally, the cops nick your plates!! Really!!

Need D L, V5, Insurance Docs - It is a PIA, but copies are no good.

And if you are stopped, don't turn to the missus and say "Can't get the hang of this Brummie accent luv, can you?"

Not sure about France, but in Spain and you wear glasses to drive, you need to carry a spare pair - and no, prescription sunglasses don't qualify.
Paul

Is Engineer Lane just off the roundabout at the bottom of Mechanics Hill?

:LOL:

From what I have heard, a lot of cars that can change the headlights to dip left or right it involves quite a bit of work so sticking black-out things on is easier.

Saying that, when was the last time you saw a French car in the UK wearing beam convertors... Perhaps you should do without, stick your head out of the window and shout "see how you like it!". Although I thought new cars just dip downwards now? :?:

With the spare bulbs, the French no longer have those daft yellow headlights so you can carry some proper ones with you.

If you happen to drive into Paris, there is a rumour that car insurance is invalid around the Champs Elysees, i.e. if you have a prang then it isn't possible to claim. This is that lovely part of Paris by the Arc de Triomphe :LOL: (the name always gives me a giggle!) that is permanently grid-locked.

A Parisian taxi driver once told me that if the police catch you speeding in France the fines are quite severe. They also give on-the-spot fines.

Speed limits are given in kilometres per hour (a ploy to make their cars sound faster I reckon!). National speed limit is 81mph in France.

for what its worth when i was in Paris (last year) the "le police" (not your gendames) were pulling cars up left right and centre for to me seemed no aparent reason, and woe betide you if you dont stop

they actually look like they came from the film thunderbirds, with their small funny little hats, but the uniforms were black

It is always funny seeing police uniforms when you go abroad. I had a giggle to myself at the Portuguese police, they are all about 5 foot tall but wear thick-soled boots that jack them up to about 5'3". Then I realised what they lacked in height they made up for with guns. So I didn't share the joke with them :LOL:

When you think about the British Bobby however, the hat must seem a bit daft to people coming to the UK from abroad.

Just thought of one more point: if you have a modified car you could be asking for trouble from le Froggy Plod. Engine modifications are illegal in France and I don't know how they would apply that to cars coming over already modified. Chances are if they pull you for having a loud exhaust, ask you to lift the bonnet and you have colour-coordinated silicon hoses they would smell a rat and call a tow-truck.

Also watch out if you have any kind of radar detector. These are illegal to use in France and several other European countries. Don't just unplug it and stick it in your glove box either. It's illegal to HAVE ONE, not just to USE ONE.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Back