Driving is getting worse?

Following intensive studies, (well, me walking up and down High Street overhearing whining motorists who had received a parking ticket), I have come to the conclusion that the most mis-used words in a motorist’s vocabulary are “Just” and “Only”.

“I was ONLY dropping off/picking up the kids.”

“I was ONLY in the shop two minutes.”

“I was JUST getting some money from the cash machine.”

“I had JUST popped into the newsagents.”

I must have JUST missed it, ONLY I cannot find anywhere in the Highway Code that states that switching on hazard warning lights allows you to park illegally.

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised it wasn't an Audi.

They come with a special "drive like a cock" coat :D

I moved up to Cumbria about ten years ago. Near to where I lived they had installed the first ever roundabout and due to the number of accidents, the local rag ran (several weeks) a piece on how to use this new round thingy.

Ten years later and most locals still think first on wins.

I HATE drivers who (family saloons) think when turning left they have to pull over to the right to get their vehicle around a bend. WTF is that all about?

Hello.

I consider myself as a 'forgiving' driver, and would be the first to say that I have made mistakes on various occasions.
However, ;) .
Drivers who use mobiles whilst driving really wind me up, and the level of anger seems to increase alongside the value of the car, (seeing someone in a 15 grand etc car, that doesn't have a hands free kit baffles me :eek: ).
My other grudge is 'people' who use the 'sat nav' thing like a guidance missile, watching and reacting to the display rather than the road ahead, generally on roundabouts, but can also occur out of the blue when turning left or right :LOL: .

Be safe out there.

Ed

Sponsored Links
oh come on steve, you can't have it both ways..

you either want them to indicate to go round the island or you don't..

what you mean is "indicate right on an island until you pass the exit BEFORE the one you want to exit at, at which time you should indicate left to exit the island.."

well, to redress the balance, I can't say I've seen any particularly bad driving lately.

it's mostly good, except round Doncaster.

And apart from the odd road hog hurtling past me on the way to the granite city, it isn't bad here either.

it always amuses me when travelling from Christchurch to Lyndhurst, when Mr Numpty BMW / Audi driver races past me weaving in and out to pass everyone at ridiculous speeds.
then when I get to Lyndhurst there is Mr Numpty 2 cars in front of me at the lights :LOL: :LOL:

Has driving really got worse? I don't think it's any worse than it was when I passed my test 26 years ago. I think we're all so wrapped up with what other people are doing. Don't get me wrong, I moan about drivers all the time, I'm no different but I think a lot of us are in a hurry for whatever reason. There are others on the road that are not. They will pee us off when we're behind them. However, there are some that tear around like mad men/women ( http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK...-Saaf-To-Come-Forward/Article/200905115276869 ). There are some that do it under what they think is the protection of the law :rolleyes: ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ore-94mph-police-driver-kills-schoolgirl.html ). Thank God SOMETIMES the courts get it right. Although I'm not sure about the length of sentence.

My own opinion is, forget what other people are doing/not doing. Keep yourself and your family safe by following the law and applying your own safety methods when driving. I remember a Driver Safety Awareness course I attended (done through my last employer as part of their Corporate Responsibility Scheme). One of the main points I took away from that course was, when waiting in a queue of traffic be it at a junction or a traffic jam, leave a decent gap between yourself and the car in front, in first gear and the hand break OFF. The guy teaching me told me hundreds of people are killed each year due to no fault of their own. They were simply parked in a queue of traffic and a car, van, lorry had smashed into the back of them. You may not always be aware of a truck hurtling toward you from behind but if you do spot it and it doesn't look like it's going to stop, leaving that gap with the car ready to go in first gear, allows you to pull out into another lane. One thing he said that shocked me but made me think was, if you think you're going to scratch/dent someone else's car by pulling into another lane, SO WHAT! You're a long time dead! I think about that statement quite often when I'm sat in traffic and when you're sat there it does make sense. It makes you look for 'an out', an escape route if you will. Unfortunately it won't always save you from the idiots out there. There will always be a risk posed by those arse-holes but with any luck they'll kill themselves without injury or expense to anyone else!

My own opinion is, forget what other people are doing/not doing. Keep yourself and your family safe by following the law and applying your own safety methods when driving.

You're not just a pretty face Blas or perhaps not even one, but that is really sound advice. You cannot always determine what the other guy will do in a given situation but knowing what you are doing while driving goes a long way!

I always leave aspace between me and the car in front, especially in rougher areas where the chance of being carjacked is higher.

I see bad driving on a daily basis, but my trip to work is a tourist route (Cleveland - Whitby) Lots of dodgy overtaking, caravans and the usual mile long tailback because some old guy is doing half the posted limit taking in the views. :LOL:

I always leave aspace between me and the car in front, especially in rougher areas where the chance of being carjacked is higher.

The places some of you lot live :eek: :eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The only thing I dread, is farmer giles combine trundling down the narrow lanes, nasty!

Sponsored Links
Back