Driving is getting worse?

I can just imagine you edging ever nearer to his car trying to frighten him into giving way and then blowing your top when he didn't. I think you had an imaginary war mate and lost and that is what is really bugging you!

I still think that what I said above holds true and as you say it is not a God given right.
It may be common courtesy, but I am sure that the driver in question will, like most of us, extend courteous or respectful or considerate acts in any situation, as and when it suits him.

Sponsored Links
People in this country (Bingobongo being a case in point) seem to think that unfettered access from a slip road is their right, rather than actually following the rules of the road which are.....to give way. That's why those dashed lines are there. Funny that.

If he didn't want to let you in, tough titty. As if finally getting into the queue one or two cars back makes any difference anyhow, ffs.Get a life and get angry about things that are worth getting angry about.

Whilst on the subject, what about those old b*****rs who seem to think it compulsory to drive in the middle lane at 50mph, completely oblivious to the fact that
a: lane 1 is empty, and
b: hgvs are restricted to 56mph and barred from lane 3
the old t***s then look surprised when undertaken in lane 1!!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Drivers who use mobiles whilst driving really wind me up, and the level of anger seems to increase alongside the value of the car, (seeing someone in a 15 grand etc car, that doesn't have a hands free kit baffles me :eek: ).

I played a blinder a fair while back, even though I say so myself!

Followed a Range Rover with a woman driving. She was yacking on the dog all the while.

We pulled up at some lights, she turning right, me going straight on. It was warm weather, so our windows were down and as I was in the van, we were at similar heights.

Me: "Impressive motor! Must have cleaned out your bank account."

Her: "No way! I've got plenty of money."

Me "So why don't you buy a hands-free then?"

I've also pulled the same stunt about indicating....

Me: "Fantastic Audi you've got there..."

Him: Chest expands with macho pride...

Me: "..but I'd take it back."

Him, looking worried,: "Why?"

Me: "Because the f'in indicators don't work!"

the old t***s then look surprised when undertaken in lane 1!!! :rolleyes:

Guilty of this, are you? Doesn't that make you as bad as them? ;)

its not a god given right it is common courtesy SON

That same common courtesy you showed the driver in front of you?

I don't think I've ever had to honk my horn at another driver.

OOI, my ADI advises use of the horn sometimes when driving defensively, just to let others know of your presence.

Came across a couple of middle-lane hoggers today on the M18, nothing in lane 1. line of 5 cars sauntering along at 70 in lane 2.

I went from lane 1 to lane 3, overtook them all, then back to lane 1. A couple of them got the hint and followed back to lane 1.

Sundays the best time to observe the greater-spotted lane hogger in action and mock them into submission as above, due to the lack of lorries.

my ADI advises use of the horn sometimes when driving defensively, just to let others know of your presence.

That is precisely why you have a horn fitted to your vehicle.

To let others know you are there! Not to show anger to others or use as a form of 'wolf-whistle' to pretty ladies. Improper use of the horn can actually lead to a summons for driving without due care and attention.

The same with flashing your headlights.
It doesn't mean, "Go on pal, I'll wait." Though that is what 99% of people use it for. It means the same as your horn, 'Beware, I am here also'.

line of 5 cars sauntering along at 70 in lane 2.

Sauntering at 70mph?
Its the legal speed limit if conditions are favourable to drive at that speed in a safe manner! :eek:

I went from lane 1 to lane 3, overtook them all, then back to lane 1.

Which means you broke the law by exceeding the speed limit just in order to get ahead of them and then drive at the same speed. Seems pointless to me, why not just stay in lane 1?

By the way, the law states you should drive in the left hand lane when possible. It does not state you MUST.

I don't think I've ever had to honk my horn at another driver.

OOI, my ADI advises use of the horn sometimes when driving defensively, just to let others know of your presence.

Thing is, to drive defensively, you know where you are going, and you know where the knob heads around you are going.

Countless times I've taken unhurried, unflustered evasive action for another driver, reason for no horn, it was so obvious what they were going to do, regardless of indicators prevailing conditions whatever, if you are experienced at driving, you really can tell what they are going to do.

By the way, the law states you should drive in the left hand lane when possible. It does not state you MUST.
OK, I'll drive to work in the right lane the whole journey to work tomorrow. Lets see how many times I get flashed.

And you've never speeded? Not once? Ever?

Today I drove home the scenic route. 15.4 miles of quiet country roads, average speed 40. Much more relaxing and tranquil. I arrived home relaxed. Whereas if I'd been on the motorway I'd have been more more tired and felt more angry inside. I dont enjoy the "built up" motorway driving (M1/M18 around rotherham and sheffield for example) and aim to get it over with asap, though I do enjoy the journey to Southport from Doncaster, along the M62.

OK, I'll drive to work in the right lane the whole journey to work tomorrow. Lets see how many times I get flashed.

Sarcasm is not a trait I find appealing. If you have read the highway code at any time in your life, and I assume you must have done if you have passed your driving test, then you will fully understand what my point was.

But by all means if you want to take my post literally then do so. I doubt you will get ALL the way to work without causing injury or death to some innocent other person.

Yes I have driven over the speed limit. Sometimes accidentally and sometimes deliberately, in the latter case probably to remove myself from an impending danger. However, if I am driving at 70mph in the left hand lane of a motorway and a number of cars are driving at the same speed in the middle lane I see no reason to move out, overtake them all and then move back to the lefthand lane to carry on at the same speed.

However, if I am driving at 70mph in the left hand lane of a motorway and a number of cars are driving at the same speed in the middle lane I see no reason to move out, overtake them all and then move back to the lefthand lane to carry on at the same speed.
OOI, how do you overtake cars travelling at the same speed?

However, if I am driving at 70mph in the left hand lane of a motorway and a number of cars are driving at the same speed in the middle lane I see no reason to move out, overtake them all and then move back to the lefthand lane to carry on at the same speed.
OOI, how do you overtake cars travelling at the same speed?

that's not what was said.

little important word you failed to read... "then"....

you mean he is driving at the same speed as them, 70mph, and wants to speed up to pass them, then slow back down to 70, and do all this in the inside lane?

JohnD,

if you read a bit slower and read EVERY word I have typed you will see that I stated,

I see no reason to move out, overtake them all and then move back to the lefthand lane

Sponsored Links
Back