driving on icy roads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how do you drive safely up ahill on untreated snow that is compacted? Should you go as slowly as possible in first gear or quickly in 3rd? and also, coming down the same hill? which gear is best?

horrendous road conditions and i am not used to driving in snow -already had 2 days off work and must go in on Monday - HELP

Sponsored Links
In your car, you should have a shovel and a bag of grit (good luck with this one) and some food rations.

If you loose traction on an icy road with a slope, you've had it. The worst thing you can do is keep spinning the wheels (it shines the road). All you can do is try to stop by applying the brakes, but if you're sliding (or the ABS is going mad and wont let the brakes apply), you just have to roll until the hill stops (or you stop if you can). Then get out of the car, and use the shovel to apply grit to the road. Get back into the warm car and have a sandwich while the ice melts. ;)

OR drive around the hill. I've been taking a 5 mile detour the last few days, to avoid a steep hill nearby.

Best thing is to get a run up to the hill, but judge it well, because you want gravity to stop you just at the top.

I don't think any way is best especially going up and down hills.

Whichever way you drive will not stop other cars sliding down the hill at you.

Have the day off. :D

how do you drive safely up ahill on untreated snow that is compacted? Should you go as slowly as possible in first gear or quickly in 3rd? and also, coming down the same hill? which gear is best?

horrendous road conditions and i am not used to driving in snow -already had 2 days off work and must go in on Monday - HELP

Don't do it. Stay home, and live.

Sponsored Links
high revs in 2nd gear normally does it for me when going up a hill and as for going down 1st gear high revs, not good in a turbo car though

Always useful to carry the odd child or old person that you can throw under the wheels as a chock.

MW

high revs in 2nd gear normally does it for me when going up a hill and as for going down 1st gear high revs, not good in a turbo car though

Highest gear lowest speed/revs uphill. Downhill, pray a bit but keep the revs low.

A good pair of walking boots and a very warm coat. best stay at home.

how do you drive safely up ahill on untreated snow that is compacted?

I know it is not included in the driving test, but if you have to ask this question then you should stay at home, or at least, not drive.

In 2nd with no other cars @ the same time :idea: Unfortunately everyone MUST be on the roads :evil: I have been recently - taking my son ( only has a bike liscence) to work as he`s member of Emergency service - and I can drive on snow without 4WD or spinning wheels :rolleyes:

and if you cannot source any grit,then buy the cheapest cat litter there is,and have that in the car.

Sponsored Links
Back