Drowned People on Camber Sands

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hear the families are moaning about the lack of lifeguards on the beach...

So they think that the authorities should provide trained lifeguards so people who cannot swim can go into the sea??

I've heard it all now.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why shouldn't local authorities provide lifeguards?
Because a beach is simply 'the outdoors'. They should not be obligated to provide lifeguards on the beach anymore than they should be expected to provide sherpas on the mountainside. If people want to frolick in the great outdoors they're on their own, often literally!

The sea is dangerous, and there has never been a time when it didn't kill people, given the chance.

People are defective, and through ignorance or recklessness, often put themselves, and others, in danger. Alcohol and the holiday mood may increase this tendency.

Camber Sands is one of the Blue Flag beaches, so it is not just "the wild outdoors." This is a great aid to tourism and safety, as it encourages people to use beaches where they have a right to expect the standards are met, and it discourages them from flocking to beaches polluted with sewage or dangerous conditions. As the standards and inspections leading to the award of Blue Flag status are independently set and internationally recognised, they are reasonably trustworthy. Fair enough.

There are some standards a beach has to meet to qualify. I don't know if anyone has suggested that Camber Sands failed to meet the required standards.

Quote:

Safety and services

• An adequate number of lifeguards and/or lifesaving equipment must be available at the beach
  • First aid equipment must be available on the beach
  • There must be management of different users and uses of the beach so as to prevent conflicts and accidents
  • An emergency plan to cope with pollution safety risks must be in place
  • There must be safe access to the beach
  • The beach area must be patrolled
  • A supply of drinking water must be available on the beach
  • A minimum of one Blue Flag beach in each municipality must have access and toilet facilities provided for disabled persons
  • A map of the beach indicating different facilities must be displayed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Flag_beach#Safety_and_services

Additionally, as a tourism will be a major source of income because of the beach, it would make economical sense to make the beach safer, thus more attractive to tourists.

BTW, 'sherpas', or more commonly known in UK and abroad as Mountain Rescue, are provided in the great outdoors.

.gif

Same with Mountain Rescue. You should not rely on others to help you out when you have been (polite version) an unthinking unplanned ill prepared person.

I know, I'll go onto a mountain, where the weather is extremely changeable and unpredictable. I know, I'll go in flip flops and a T shirt and to add to the mix, I'll take my kids too.....:rolleyes:

How about a bit of both? Help when needed and also some common sense and respect for the sea or other potential dangers? Seems that so many people now have lost the ability to take responsibility for themselves and use their noggin.

I always loved the way the mountain rescue guys could say what they really felt on tv/radio interviews about those they had saved but when I worked for the RNLI we had to be politically correct and couldn't say people were stupid...

W.

Sponsored Links
Back