This is a local road for local people...

AdamW said:
expecting the thousands of motorists driving through their village to use more petrol and take more time to complete their journey. :mad:
I used to think like you.

And then one day I actually took some measurements of how long it took to do a particular piece of road, and how long the stretches were where I had to reduce my speed.

And you know what?

It was "costing" me at worst 5 minutes in a 45 minute journey.

And I thought "just how pathetic and self-obsessed do you have to be to get bent out of shape about a journey taking 45 minutes instead of 40?"

And I stopped worrying.

If you are really leading the kind of life where a few minutes extra on a journey are a real problem to you, then IMHO you need a different life.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
It was "costing" me at worst 5 minutes in a 45 minute journey.

Pathetic and self-obsessed? Surely it is more pathetic and self-obsessed to move in next to a main road and then protest that the cars are driving at the posted speed limit. I don't see why thousands of people should have to leave 5 minutes earlier because a few hundred people don't like the road they live next to... campaign if they want to build a motorway next to you, by all means! You are there first. But if the road and traffic were there first, it's not really on.

They won't be paying me back those 5 minutes elsewhere will they?

I'm a busy chap. I'm 25 years old, I work hard for long hours in an enjoyable but stressful job, I have a social life spread over 2 cities and 5 counties, I live on my own which means I have to do all the chores and cooking myself, even when I'm in the middle of a DIY project, I'm holding off starting an MBA until I have more free time. I really don't have enough hours in the day, I don't even come on here much anymore. So, I can do quite a bit in 5 minutes!!! :LOL: Even 5 minutes extra sleep each morning would be appreciated. I'm up at 6:30, I'm just off to bed now and it's 1am. 6:35 would be much nicer :p

I enjoy my life, but I don't let my enjoyment disrupt others. Why should their enjoyment disrupt my life? :rolleyes:

keyplayer said:
Or a helicopter.

Funny you should mention that... I saw some ultralight helicopters on the internet a few years ago, self-build for around £10K. I enquired with the land managers at work but there was no way they would let me land a helicopter there :LOL:

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
But if the road and traffic were there first, it's not really on.
You're assuming that the volume of traffic has not increased since they moved there, and that it hasn't got faster.

You're assuming that nothing has changed about the type of people who live there, and the way they need to interact with the traffic (e.g. more young children walking to school).

You're assuming that the area hasn't changed - e.g. a need for more houses so that the people who grew up there can stay if they want, more businesses so that they can find employment there.

I'm a busy chap. I'm 25 years old, I work hard for long hours in an enjoyable but stressful job, I have a social life spread over 2 cities and 5 counties, I live on my own which means I have to do all the chores and cooking myself, even when I'm in the middle of a DIY project, I'm holding off starting an MBA until I have more free time. I really don't have enough hours in the day, I don't even come on here much anymore. So, I can do quite a bit in 5 minutes!!! :LOL: Even 5 minutes extra sleep each morning would be appreciated. I'm up at 6:30, I'm just off to bed now and it's 1am. 6:35 would be much nicer :p
Like I said - if your life is making you get bent out of shape over a few minutes extra on a journey, then it is your life that is wrong, not the journey time.

I enjoy my life, but I don't let my enjoyment disrupt others. Why should their enjoyment disrupt my life? :rolleyes:
Why should your insistence on leading a life where "losing" 5 minutes is such a big deal disrupts their life by causing you to want to drive quickly past their houses?

Maybe we should all club together and buy you a day at a race track to satisfy your desires for driving faster, Adam :LOL: ;) :evil:

Back