This is a local road for local people...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I passed my test in 1997, and since then I have noticed a lot of 60mph country lanes had signs put up to lower the limit to 30 through the various villages, and on some particularly snooty villages near my parents' way the speed limit dropped to 20mph.

This whole time I've been blaming it on the villagers, assuming that it's a case of "I bought a house in a nice little village and now I'm here I don't think anyone should be allowed to drive through my nice little village"... a bit like people who move under the Heathrow flightpath and complain about aircraft noise.

But am I right? :confused:

Are villages being given low speed limits as a genuine safety measure, or can people really moan about a road that was there before they moved in, and get the speed limit dropped?

And if so, does it just take one moaning biddy, or does a sizable proportion of the village have to petition?

I just don't want to feel guilty for growling "bl**dy idiots, moving next to a main road and then complaining about traffic, grumble grumble" if it isn't actually their fault! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
main roads thru towns should be reduced to 40 if anything. altho havin said that, there is a country road near me when goes into a town. was 60 and then dropped to 30 just before houses started. its now 40 and the 30 starts about 300M from where it used to

There is a snooty village near us, one of the campuses of Doncaster College is there, and last year with all the excitement surrounding the Doncaster Education City, the road through the entire village was resurfaced, and the speed limits were moved about 300m further back from the village on both sides! And a "reduce speed 30" blinker was put up too! The speed limit between this village and the next one was also reduced to 50, despite there being no accidents there ever.

The village before (closer to Doncaster) also had its limit reduced to 30, it was 40 all the way through. Again, no accidents here, just trying to make the area look nicer when travelling between the 2 college campuses i think. Oh, and they station a talivan here on the odd day, when they are feeling particularly poncy.

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
you really do need to get a life adam

Steady now!

You obviously never have to do long drives on country lanes, slowing down for villages that have dead-straight roads with unencumbered views. No doubt you used to drive through them at 90 in your former life, but I end up having to amble through them at 30 just in case there is a trained OAP with a radar gun.

If you want to see the full extent of how gay these roads can be, drive the A308 from the M3 to Hampton Court... a VERY wide road, no visual obstructions, no pedestrians about... but when you get to the bit with the posh houses, 20mph. Used to 60, went to 40, now 20.

So if anyone should get a life, it should be people who move somewhere without considering "Do I WANT to live next to a main road?" and so forth, instead of moving somewhere and then expecting the thousands of motorists driving through their village to use more petrol and take more time to complete their journey. :mad:

I used to live in a village and believe it or not but when the Police used to come out with their mobile speed guns it was always the villagers themselves that copped it :LOL:

I think it's because the way of life in villages is generally slower and kids don't tend to see dangers as much as kids in towns. Therefore, the little angels have this tendency to just leap out from behind parked cars.

Personally, it doesn't bother me when i have to slow down to go through a village. Maybe if you want to get somewhere quicker you should leave the house 10 minutes earlier ;) :LOL:

Brightness said:
I used to live in a village and believe it or not but when the Police used to come out with their mobile speed guns it was always the villagers themselves that copped it :LOL:
I've heard that quite often people from neighbouring villages are caught... "I'll speed through your village but you better slow down through mine" sort-of thing.

Personally, it doesn't bother me when i have to slow down to go through a village. Maybe if you want to get somewhere quicker you should leave the house 10 minutes earlier ;) :LOL:

:p :p :p I don't mind slowing down for one or two when on a leisurely road trip on a summer's day with a group of friends... I like taking in the scenery! :D

AdamW said:
So if anyone should get a life, it should be people who move somewhere without considering "Do I WANT to live next to a main road?" and so forth, instead of moving somewhere and then expecting the thousands of motorists driving through their village to use more petrol and take more time to complete their journey.

This demonstrates a tenuous grasp of how an internal combustion engine consumes fuel! :LOL:

AdamW said:
Brightness said:
I've heard that quite often people from neighbouring villages are caught... "I'll speed through your village but you better slow down through mine" sort-of thing.

:p :p :p I don't mind slowing down for one or two when on a leisurely road trip on a summer's day with a group of friends... I like taking in the scenery! :D

LMAO dunno about slowing down through their villages, maybe we could have got rid of some of their brattish kids mwahahahaha

OMG don't tell me you're one of those drivers who like to see how village people (no pun intended) live....

keyplayer said:
This demonstrates a tenuous grasp of how an internal combustion engine consumes fuel! :LOL:

Naaah, cos if I can maintain a steady 60mph in fifth gear then I use less fuel than if I slow down to 30, bumble along in 3rd and then have to accelerate back to 60... 'speshially if I have to go 80 to the next village to maintain my average speed :p

OMG don't tell me you're one of those drivers who like to see how village people (no pun intended) live....

They're all in the navy aren't they? ;)

My favourite past-time will, from now on, involve stopping at the front door of the poshest-looking house in a snobby 30mph village and asking if I could buy some milk, still warm from the cow. I'll introduce myself as "a squire from the big town", speak really slowly and patronise their "broad, rural brogue" of course ;) :p

Brightness said:
I think it's because the way of life in villages is generally slower and kids don't tend to see dangers as much as kids in towns. Therefore, the little angels have this tendency to just leap out from behind parked cars

Kids in towns dont see the danger as much either. Not today anyway. They walk and run where and when they want, they think they are invincible, only other people get run over. They have no respect for the road or cars. :evil: Young'uns on bicycles - thats a real joke - weaving in and out of traffic, the wrong way, riding down middle of busy roads (not even dual carriageway). Now i'm 20, i can say things like this about "young'uns" and "when i were a lad" :LOL:

PMSL I know what you mean though. There's a kid who lives in the next close to us and whenever I am driving up the main bit of road he swerves out on his bike.

I tell you, one day I am going to let him ram my car and then run over his flaming bike - that'll teach him :evil: :evil: :evil:

He's also one of those foul kids whose parents think is a complete angel - it's never him who's bad it's everyone elses kids :rolleyes:

Brightness
watch out he may run that scruffy mutt of yours over instead ...:)

Oyt! Don't you call my baby scruffy! The little angel doesn't go out alone without his lead on and on the odd occasion he's escaped he goes to visit his doggy lady friend who lives at the end of our close!

Hey Moz, I've got a good idea. Why don't you lie down on the road and me and my darling dog will come and run you over..... :LOL: ;) :p

Sponsored Links
Back