Earthing metal ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son wants me to connect a lamp which has no earthing point in the metal rose (the bulbholder has). Is this against the regulations?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I can't post photo, will ask him when he gets back, but essentially the rose is a metal casting, cup shaped, with holes for fixing to ceiling, that's it !
There is also a plastic "figure of eight" supplied to act as the cable anchor.
I wondered if it was necessary to drill and tap the casting to make an earth bond - I don't want to obviously !

Many Thanks
Bruce

Does your fitting have the double insulated symbol (a square within a square) on it?

If it does, you do not need to (and should not) connect it to earth.

Sponsored Links
I had something similar, see //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/thoughts-on-earth-bonding-on-lights-please.469725/#post-3760159 it has gone on and on.

The original lamp had a loop which screwed onto the ceiling which was covered over with a metal cap, it had a long pipe which to be frank looked out of place, and also made the whole lamp hang too low, the simple cure seemed to be the slide in hook
LDMC11E.JPG
which both allowed the removal of the daft bit of pipe making the whole lamp about 9" higher and it allowed me to pre-assemble all on the ground and then just slide the whole lot into place.

However when I came to do this I noted the earth connection which would not really pass through the paint on the hook, neither would it be a sound connection between the links of the chain. The bulb holder is marked double insulated, but the lamp as a whole has no markings.

Personally I would say the earth connection is there to allow the installation earth wires to be bonded together, and not there to bond to the fitting, however there are 74 replies to that post so it seems there is no one answer fits all.

Not bonding.

Anyway, is the thing in question an actual 'usual' rose - containing the connections - or does the cable just pass through it?

Hi, Many thanks for the helpful questions. This " Rose" is just a metal casting - cup shaped, with a hole in the bottom, nothing else, no screws, no labels. It is just for the cable to enter, and then pick up on the supply side using some terminal block ( not supplied).
I assume that it was sold as a "Rose", because of the cable anchor supplied.
If it were for me, I wouldn't be worried - its on the ceiling, the circuit is properly protected, I'd put it up. I can't imagine any risk.
But he wants to give it to his girlfriends parents, who live along way off. So, this is why I'm worried about IEE regs.
Thanks for your patience
Bruce

That was my point - if it contains the connectors then I would like it earthed.

However, if you had one of these (or similar)

ASJ501.JPG

in the ceiling with just the cable passing through, then I wouldn't bother.

If its metal and designed to have the terminal blocks loose within, then id say it should be earthed and seems odd that theres no terminal.
When you can post a pic as there maybe a neater way to earth it than drilling it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back