Earths don't reach terminal on light fitting...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am aware that this is probably a stupid question, and sorry if it is.

I am replacing a light fitting, and am having some trouble, because where the lighting cables have been butchered by whoever last did it, the three earths do not quite reach the terminal on the light fitting.

Here comes the stupid question: my plan is to put the three earths into a connection block together, and the bit I am unsure of is what sort of wire to connect from the connection block to the earth terminal on the fitting..?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Here comes the stupid question: my plan is to put the three earths into a connection block together, and the bit I am unsure of is what sort of wire to connect from the connection block to the earth terminal on the fitting..?
The most obvious would be a bit of bare earth wire from an old bit of mains wiring cable, if you have any lying around. Failing that, any bit of wire (bare or insulated) which is at least as meaty as the earth wires you have. All the earth wires should have green/yellow sleeving on them, whether they are bare or have insulation of some other colour.

Kind Regards, John

The most obvious would be a bit of bare earth wire from an old bit of mains wiring cable, if you have any lying around. Failing that, any bit of wire (bare or insulated) which is at least as meaty as the earth wires you have. All the earth wires should have green/yellow sleeving on them, whether they are bare or have insulation of some other colour.

Perfect, thank you. That is what I assumed, but I wanted to check first!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back