EICR For Dad's Widow

Sponsored Links
Oddly, the only C2 is lack of RCD protection.
... but only for the socket(s) "likely to be used to power outdoor equipment" (all the other 'lack of RCD' items beings C3s) - which I think/suspect is what a lot of people would probably say/do.

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps the relevant sockets should not have been installed if they are potentially dangerous.

There was an sRCD in the hall. He said that didn't count....

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the relevant sockets should not have been installed if they are potentially dangerous.
Well (per regs) no socket should be installed today without RCD protection and, if I recall correctly, no socket "likely to be used to power outdoor equipment" without RCD protection should have been installed under 17th - but the socket may well have been installed prior to either of those editions.

However, the question of whether a socket "likely to be used to power outdoor equipment" installed many years ago (without RCD protection) was then any more dangerous than it would be ('perceived as being') today is 'an interesting question'

Kind Regards, John

Well (per regs) no socket should be installed today without RCD protection and, if I recall correctly, no socket "likely to be used to power outdoor equipment" without RCD protection should have been installed under 17th - but the socket may well have been installed prior to either of those editions.
I know.

However, the question of whether a socket "likely to be used to power outdoor equipment" installed many years ago (without RCD protection) was then any more dangerous than it would be ('perceived as being') today is 'an interesting question'.
Exactly.

One must assume that, as it is now deemed potentially dangerous by not having had something done to it, it must have been the same when installed.

Unless of course - it isn't.

Exactly. One must assume that, as it is now deemed potentially dangerous by not having had something done to it, it must have been the same when installed. ... Unless of course - it isn't.
We've been through all this before. Views vary over time as to what is 'acceptably safe' (i.e. not 'too dangerous' to be acceptable) - and that applies to many things if you compare today with the days of our youth.

In other words, whilst 'how dangerous' something is obviously does not change over time, our (society's) view of the acceptability of any particular danger/risk will often change.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back