eicr form

Perhaps you should tell the major consumer unit manufacturers that the clip in blanks are not suitable for purpose then....

As I said I dislike the pop in blanks, especially in a domestic environment and will fit the full blanks as a matter of course, but cant see that you can pull up an install with correctly fitted manufacturers parts as being non-compliant. Damaged/incorrect blanks which pop out at a drop of a hat are a different matter though

Perhaps your three year old should not be allowed to attempt to dismantle the consumer unit....

Sponsored Links
1. Perhaps you should tell the major consumer unit manufacturers that the clip in blanks are not suitable for purpose then....

2. As I said I dislike the pop in blanks, especially in a domestic environment and will fit the full blanks as a matter of course, but cant see that you can pull up an install with correctly fitted manufacturers parts as being non-compliant. Damaged/incorrect blanks which pop out at a drop of a hat are a different matter though

3. Perhaps your three year old should not be allowed to attempt to dismantle the consumer unit....

1. They already know, that is why they make the din rail version. It is your job to ensure safety and compliance.

2. If you push them in, in the centre they all pop out

3. No 3 year olds were hurt during testing, the units were not connected at the time. But if you are leaving connected ones at floor level in unlocked cupboards and a child dies, you defences that they blanks came with the unit will not prevent you bein prosecuted for MANSLAGHTER. The regulations you sign say you should not have left it like that and you signed that you did not.

1. If they thought the standard blanks were dangerous, not only would the provide an alternative, but they wouldn't produce the standard ones either...

2. Not sure about the ones you have, but the dorman smith blanks (which come complete with a red cap for the busbar fork) I have on my desk certainly would not pop out if pushed in the centre.

3. Well done on teaching your three year old to try and pull pieces off switchgear, what next?, teaching him to play with lamp holders on table lamps or stick forks in the toaster....

well in all my time i have never had an inspector even mention not to use push in blanks....sometimes i think we think too deep i mean if a child poured his bottle over a consumer unit he may get hurt but we do not have to make them water proof....where does it say on a domestic installation pop in blanks do not comply?....which body bans the use of them or says the do not comply...i will start a nation campaign to ban the clip in blank..and in fact stop this thread because i have to go and buy some blanks...i am out

Sponsored Links
No need. They are already against the regs if not used as intended

The iet and the esc. Just read tbe regs and the official guidence

when are clip in blanks not used as intended?

i remember once when i installed a few as double sockets but no one could get a 13 amp plug top into them

well in all my time i have never had an inspector even mention not to use push in blanks....

Well the fact that you have gotten away with it for so long, means you should resolve to change your ways (no pun intended, possibly)

i would be ashamed of myself and can not think of one instance when in 35 years i have had no blanks.....what if i had no pen ...i would not be able to fill the form in and the client would have to guess

If you turned up without your pen you wouldn't be in business long, just as if you turned up without any of the tools reasonably expected of you to do the job you have been contracted to do such as your testers. Installing consumer unit blanks isn't part of an EICR. Writing stuff down is.

to the OP, if you saw a dangling unclipped cable in a garage and happened to have 5 clips on the van, would you clip it up as well? 5 clips are about 5 new pence.

Some bs3036 rewirable fuseboards (bs5486)have covers and fuse holders that can be removed by no use of a tool. some covers have a slotted machine screw, others have a grippable headed machine screw. the fuses can be pulled out by hand. where the latter, i dont code them.

i would be ashamed of myself and can not think of one instance when in 35 years i have had no blanks.....what if i had no pen ...i would not be able to fill the form in and the client would have to guess

If you turned up without your pen you wouldn't be in business long, just as if you turned up without any of the tools reasonably expected of you to do the job you have been contracted to do such as your testers. Installing consumer unit blanks isn't part of an EICR. Writing stuff down is.

And putting the wrong ones in, just makes matters worse because you are now responsible for them being wrong

What about the humble ceiling rose, that has terminals which can be exposed without a key or tool....

What about the humble ceiling rose, that has terminals which can be exposed without a key or tool....

No there is not a regulation for that because the regulation dealing with this has four NOTES below it.

The first one says:
The regulation does not apply to:
a celing rose complying with BS 67

As I say it is all in the regs :D you just need to read them before signing off non compliant work - ignorance is no defence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back