EICR Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just had an EICR done on a basic 3 bed house with 6 circuits. It has come back with 2 issues and a quote for £600 for a new consumer unit (existing one is about 9 years old). I was told “some circuits don’t have an RCD so there could be a neutral to Earth fault so the electricity could come back out and electrocute me” and that it was urgent that this new consumer unit is fitted as my existing one isn't compliant.

Photos of a couple of pages of the EICR attached.

IMG_20190518_125920.jpg

IMG_20190518_130034.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have just had an EICR done on a basic 3 bed house with 6 circuits. It has come back with 2 issues and a quote for £600 for a new consumer unit (existing one is about 9 years old). I was told “some circuits don’t have an RCD so there could be a neutral to Earth fault so the electricity could come back out and electrocute me” and that it was urgent that this new consumer unit is fitted as my existing one isn't compliant. Photos of a couple of pages of the EICR attached.
For what it's worth, in my opinion it is seriously OTT to give a C1, and indicate that immediate replacement of the 9-year-old CU is required, because a cooker circuit and two lighting circuits are not RCD protected. If I were you, I would be looking for a different electrician, and seek his/her views about what (if any) remedial work is required

... and if "some circuits don’t have an RCD so there could be a neutral to Earth fault so the electricity could come back out and electrocute me” is remotely like what the electrician said to you, then that would strengthen my view that you need a different electrician!

Kind Regards, John

He's a crook, the regs are not retrospective and there appears to be nothing wrong with your cu.

The comment on your bathroom light is meaningless.

The test sheet is inaccurate , it says you don't have RCD's but lists RCD tripping currents of 30mA, which is a nonsense.

As above, you need a different electrician

Sponsored Links
Hi, that's helpful, thanks for your comments.

Yes, that's exactly what he said.

Point taken about not using him again, but it's annoying to pay for the same thing again. Is there any standardisation / review of these EICRs similar to the new MOT system? I'm aware of the best practice guide issue 4, but is there anything to say this needs to be followed or do the NICEIC look at things like this?

Hi, that's helpful, thanks for your comments. Yes, that's exactly what he said.
Well, it's daft!
Point taken about not using him again, but it's annoying to pay for the same thing again.
There's probably no need to have another EICR done - it looks as if, in a 'factual' sense, the EICR was probably done reasonably well and conscientiously - the issue is about the interpretation of his observations and results, and his 'recommendations'. I would suggest that you show the EICR to another electrician and see what he/she feels about any remedial work that might be required.
Is there any standardisation / review of these EICRs similar to the new MOT system? I'm aware of the best practice guide issue 4, but is there anything to say this needs to be followed or do the NICEIC look at things like this?
If the electrician is a member of NICIEC (or any other of the trade organisations), you could try complaining to them, but I'm not sure that would necessartily achieve anything.

Kind Regards, John

The test sheet is inaccurate , it says you don't have RCD's but lists RCD tripping currents of 30mA, which is a nonsense.
As far as I can see, it only states the 30mA RCD tripping current for those three circuits which are RCD protected. What is less clear is why he has apparently not tested the trip time of that RCD.

Kind Regards, John

As far as I can see, it only states the 30mA RCD tripping current for those three circuits which are RCD protected. What is less clear is why he has apparently not tested the trip time of that RCD.

Kind Regards, John

Well you're seeing wrong, according to the test sheet there are no RCD's, only MCB's

Well you're seeing wrong, according to the test sheet there are no RCD's, only MCB's
There's no provision on the form for recording details of the RCD (only provision the BS No. of the "Overcurrent Protection Device" - which obviously doesn't include RCDs), and the only way of indicating that a circuit is RCD protected is to insert the appropriate figure (i.e. 30mA) in the "RCD IΔn" column for the circuits in question - which is precisely what he has done for the three (RCD-protected) used circuits 'below' the RCD in the Schedule.

Why do you think that there is no entry in the "RCD IΔn" column for the three (NOT RCD-protected) used circuits 'above' the RCD in the Schedule?

Kind Regards, John

There's no provision on the form for recording details of the RCD (only provision the BS No. of the "Overcurrent Protection Device" - which obviously doesn't include RCDs), and the only way of indicating that a circuit is RCD protected is to insert the appropriate figure (i.e. 30mA) in the "RCD IΔn" column for the circuits in question - which is precisely what he has done for the three (RCD-protected) used circuits 'below' the RCD in the Schedule.

Why do you think that there is no entry in the "RCD IΔn" column for the three (NOT RCD-protected) used circuits 'above' the RCD in the Schedule?

Kind Regards, John

I have no idea what you are talking about, and even less interest.

I didn't used to do EICRs but on installation certificates I used to put the RCD(s) on a separate line above the circuits they covered and fill out accordingly -

BS 61008, conductor sizes etc. and of course the test results.

Is there any standardisation / review of these EICRs similar to the new MOT system? I'm aware of the best practice guide issue 4, but is there anything to say this needs to be followed or do the NICEIC look at things like this?
No standardisation; it is up to the inspector and his knowledge and experience.

I think probably the "Best Practice Guide" might be a cause of some problems by stating A means B therefore C when this is not the case in all instances.

I'm merely describing what is recorded in the EICR Schedule, and I'm sorry if you are not able to understand.

What don't you understand about - I have no idea what you are talking about, and even less interest.

You don't know what you're talking about, but that will never stop your yapping, look at column 9 and the penultimate column.

Poor kebab has some problems.

Did you know he said I would do a better job of governing this country than Theresa May, Buffoon Johnson, or Jacob Rice-Pud?

If I valued his opinion at all, I would have been quite flattered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back