Electric Meter

Those aren't the issues people are complaining about. The issue is it's a device that can control the supply, unlike a meter and there have been widespread abuses alleged against energy firms who can switch you to pre-pay without your permission. Saying its "Just a meter" repeatedly, doesn't change the fact that it isn't.

Who would consent to having a device installed that could be remotely switched to pre-pay on a higher tariff, without your permission?

The industry even use the misleading term "self-disconnect" to describe consumers who don't top up there meters and lose supply.
I occasionally get a letter through the post or an email saying 'we're in your area on x date installing smart meters, why not arrange to have one installed and start seeing the advantages they bring' blah blah blah.

I just ignore them as, for me, I see no real benefit to having one. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm saying 'for me', we all have different opinions on these subjects which we're entitled to ;)

What concerns me slightly is will the day come (I suppose it will) when I get a similar communication saying 'new legislation says all homes are to have smart meters installed by x date. We'll be in touch soon to arrange the installation of yours'

Sponsored Links
I occasionally get a letter through the post or an email saying 'we're in your area on x date installing smart meters, why not arrange to have one installed and start seeing the advantages they bring' blah blah blah.

I just ignore them as, for me, I see no real benefit to having one. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm saying 'for me', we all have different opinions on these subjects which we're entitled to ;)

What concerns me slightly is will the day come (I suppose it will) when I get a similar communication saying 'new legislation says all homes are to have smart meters installed by x date. We'll be in touch soon to arrange the installation of yours'
I'm in a similar boat to you.

Nothing against them, but I don't see any advantage to ME.

But I don't want it "forced" on me.

some admin person at a desk will be able to disconnect your supply on a whim.
...and the meter makes no difference to the actual process.

I'm sure I can hear voices coming from mine....:eek:

EDIT: It was just the tele (phew!)

Sponsored Links
Probably your best post ever.

But to temper that, you do have a low bar

You need to apply common sense to these issues some thing transam
Has in abundance :cool:

The entire country gos on smart meters the infrastructure gets hacked by Russians

Every ones meter gets turned off
And the country grinds to a halt

Yes exactly

Don’t say you were not warned

There are other repercussions as well :cool:

Apart from all the cases currently under investigation
Poor service, not a conspiracy.

If I thought there was a bigger plan behind every bit of bad service I've had I'd never be able to leave my house.

...and the meter makes no difference to the actual process.

I'm sure I can hear voices coming from mine....:eek:

EDIT: It was just the tele (phew!)
Apart from the need for a court order you mean and the ability to do it remotely.

Yes it’s the same process apart from the bits that are different.

Apart from the need for a court order you mean
Always been the same for both meters...

"...If you can't come to an agreement to settle your debt, your energy supplier can apply to court for a warrant to enter your home and force you to have a prepayment meter, or even cut off your supply. The supplier has to send you a notice telling you they're applying to court...."

Give it up boyo, your out of your depth, as per.

"...If you can't come to an agreement to settle your debt, your energy supplier can apply to court for a warrant to enter your home and force you to have a prepayment meter, or even cut off your supply. The supplier has to send you a notice telling you they're applying to court...."

Give it up boyo, your out of your depth, as per.

Except with a smart meter there is no requirement for a court order and it can be done remotely.

You understand that bit right?

Sponsored Links
Back