Electric shower cable too short

Sponsored Links
Hi All.

Thanks for the info so far. So i maybe on a winner. A friend of mine had some left over cable from his works. I am hoping it is enough to run between the CU and where the isolator switch will go (i should find out soon), so i can just cut the original cable to ensure i have enough upto the isolator.

If not, i will get a 60 amp junction box and do the connection.

I do have a query, i was reading around and noticed a lot of information on putting the cable through joists.
I have noticed other cables in the loft space on top of the joists, just cable clipped in, additionally, the electrician said its fine to do the same with the shower cable. Is this normal and correct?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Usually in a loft there is no need to drill holes in the joists.

Cables are clipped along joists, but then there is the problem where the cable goes ACROSS the joists.

The cables should be clipped along the eaves, or along a trimmer, this way the cable shouldn't get trodden on.

If you do end extending this cable, make sure the cable is not routed in the way of getting trodden on.

Usually in a loft there is no need to drill holes in the joists.

Cables are clipped along joists, but then there is the problem where the cable goes ACROSS the joists.

The cables should be clipped along the eaves, or along a trimmer, this way the cable shouldn't get trodden on.

If you do end extending this cable, make sure the cable is not routed in the way of getting trodden on.
Thanks Spark.
Shall i just put the extra effort in to drill through the joists when i re route?

Thanks Spark.
Shall i just put the extra effort in to drill through the joists when i re route?

I was taught never to drill roof joists, as they are skinny enough anyway.

I've also heard stories of site agents going mental when others have drilled them.

So I would avoid it myself.

I've never needed to drill a roof joist ever.

No.

Don't put the cable under any insulation either.
Cool
The original cable i laid i left on top of the insulation. Thining it may heat. - of yeah if i drill through the joists then by default it will end up in the insulation. So no drilling!

I just thought, what about all those insulation companies that come and probably end up covering electric cables.

Cool
The original cable i laid i left on top of the insulation. Thining it may heat. - of yeah if i drill through the joists then by default it will end up in the insulation. So no drilling!

I just thought, what about all those insulation companies that come and probably end up covering electric cables.

All those insulation companies DGAF about covering electric cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back