ELECTRIC TRIPPING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
everytime i switch an appliance on(tv/pc)my electricity trips even if this is the only thing on, this has just started happening and is not due to a change in the circuit.
any help really appreciated.
thnx.

Sponsored Links
Is it an RCD that is tripping? what circuits does it feed?

sounds like you may have a neutral to earth fault somewhere.

Sponsored Links
ITS WHEN I USE A SOCKET THE BIG RED SWITCH IN THE FUSE BOX TRIPS.IF WHAT YOU SAY IS THE FAULT HOW DO YOU SOLVE IT
CHEERS

walto90 said:
ITS WHEN I USE A SOCKET THE BIG RED SWITCH IN THE FUSE BOX TRIPS.IF WHAT YOU SAY IS THE FAULT HOW DO YOU SOLVE IT
CHEERS

IS IT THE MAIN BIG RED SWITCH, OR A SMALLER BIG RED SWITCH WITH OTHER SMALLER BIG RED SWITCHES ALL AROUND IT?

Is it an RCD or an MCB? The problem will be different depending on what trips.

An RCD may look something like this
p2386998_l.jpg

and an MCB like this
p3136652_l.jpg

Note that the RCD is twice the width of the MCB.

the RCD will usually be marked something like "80A" "30mA" or "0.03A" "Press T Quarterly"

the MCB (there will be several) may be marked "B32" or B06" or similar.

If you tell us the brand name you see on your consumer unit, that may help.

BTW we would really like you to turn this off http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/RFLighting/caplock.jpg

edited:
and this device is an RCBO, which combines both functions in a single device. However, this is only found in the finest installations

main0555.JPG

C'mon John, go back and post that link as an image.

I'm sure I've seen that before somewhere :LOL:

It's a bit big...

Couldn't find my own one :LOL:

there is also a demand for audience participation, and a pause, for comic effect.

I think walto90 has gone to bed now (in the dark).

AFTER A COLD DARK NIGHT. THE SWITCH THAT TRIPS IS AN AB32SH SMALL 1. ONLY THE DOWNSTAIRS SOCKETS GO OFF.

THANX FOR ANY HELP!!!!

Turn off your Caps Lock.
caplock.jpg

OK. Either you have a current overload, or the MCB is faulty. There may be damage to the circuit cables or there may be an incorrect item fitted as a fuse in one of your fused plugs. There could be rodent damage to a gnawed cable, or there could be water getting into an electrical part (this sometimes happens near boilers and central-heating pumps, as well as taps and drains)

Try unplugging and switching off everything on that circuit, including the boiler and the fridge-freezer, and see if that cures the problem. Then try turning then on a few at a time to see if you can isolate a cause.

You may be able to plug the freezer into a socket on the cooker switch, if it has one, to keep your food cold.

Have a look round all your sockets and plugs for any signs of overheating or damage such as browning or melting, cracks or chips. Look for any evidence of nails or screws in the floor or walls that could have hit a cable.

If you are not familiar with electrical work you would do best to call in a qualified local electrician - if you can get a recommendation from a friend or neighbour that would be a help.

p.s.
the only thing, other than a fault, that is likely to cause a B32 MCB to trip is a big overload - like, if you had three or more large-load appliances running at the same time. For example, a washing machine, and a tumble drier, and an electric heater. Or an oven, kettle, toaster, and dishwasher. Do you have many large appliances on the circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back