electrical conduit for wiring

Going to post pictures of some progress shortly.

Firstly, how do I terminate these connections in the wall so that I can bond plaster over them? I've wrapped them in insulation tape.

I've no way of locating the cable under the floor to pull it out so it will remain live under the new ring is used.

IMG_0894.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
Going to post pictures of some progress shortly.
On the basis of the ones so far, be prepared for some criticism.

Firstly, how do I terminate these connections in the wall so that I can bond plaster over them? I've wrapped them in insulation tape.
Why are they no longer joined together? What circuit are they part of?

They are not enclosed or sheathed - you may not simply plaster over them.

I've no way of locating the cable under the floor to pull it out so it will remain live under the new ring is used.
Then remove the cable(s) at the CU so that they are no longer live.

If they are live then you may not plaster over them even after you have properly enclosed them.

To be honest you're going to struggle to do much with those cables unless you can make them dead. I think the best solution after making it dead would be a metal back box and get a flush blanking plate. Then connect them to terminal or wagos as appropriate and fit the blanking plate.
Then the plate will be fairly unobtrusive but no one will end up drilling into the cable as they'll see the accessory hopefully or having a fault later in the wall.

Sponsored Links
To be honest you're going to struggle to do much with those cables unless you can make them dead. I think the best solution after making it dead would be a metal back box and get a flush blanking plate. Then connect them to terminal or wagos as appropriate and fit the blanking plate.
Then the plate will be fairly unobtrusive but no one will end up drilling into the cable as they'll see the accessory hopefully or having a fault later in the wall.

John that's a bit of a ridiculous idea. I'm not going to fit a blanking plate...

John that's a bit of a ridiculous idea. I'm not going to fit a blanking plate...
If you want to find ridiculous ideas you might want to look closer to home before being rude to people helping.
Sorry for giving you a chance.

If you want to find ridiculous ideas you might want to look closer to home before being rude to people helping.
Sorry for giving you a chance.

If I think it's a stupid idea I'm going to say so bud. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate it.

Thinking on it, I reversed the back box so half your idea got through..

Thing is ideas is not really what I'm after. There are formal ways of dealing with these situations, but quality advice is thin on the ground here, as you can see there are enough arseholes to have to filter out, so sorry if my attitude is not spot on.

IMG_0901.JPG

Can't see why this won't work when bonding applied on top.

There are formal ways of dealing with these situations,
Al of which have been mentioned already:
Disconnect power.
Remove them from the wall and join under the floor using permanent connections.
Install a blanking plate in the wall which remains visible.

Can't see why this won't work when bonding applied on top.
Box not earthed.
When covered with plaster there will be nothing to indicate cables are there.
Insulation tape is not a suitable method of terminating wires.

Al of which have been mentioned already:
Disconnect power.
Remove them from the wall and join under the floor using permanent connections.
Install a blanking plate in the wall which remains visible.

Box not earthed.
When covered with plaster there will be nothing to indicate cables are there.
Insulation tape is not a suitable method of terminating wires.

What's the use of going to such lengths to protect a cable that will soon be dead ?

make it dead first, then remove the dead cable, then fill the hole.

There are formal ways of dealing with these situations
Yes there are, but so far you seem intent on ignoring them.
, but quality advice is thin on the ground here, as you can see there are enough arseholes to have to filter out, so sorry if my attitude is not spot on.
To be fair, you've had a lot of quality advice, including from BAS in his own blunt manner. That it's not the answer you want doesn't make it bad advice.

It's only after some to-ing and fro-ing that you've come up with the information that these cables will be dead at some point. In the absence of that, the only answers that could be given would be those for properly dealing with live cables. Now that they are to be dead, then AFTER THEY ARE DEAD the answers are different - ideally you remove them altogether, if not then remove as much as is possible including cutting them under the floor so there's no way they can be reconnected by mistake, and only then can you simply fill in the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back