electrical conduit for wiring

Yes there are, but so far you seem intent on ignoring them.

To be fair, you've had a lot of quality advice, including from BAS in his own blunt manner. That it's not the answer you want doesn't make it bad advice.

It's only after some to-ing and fro-ing that you've come up with the information that these cables will be dead at some point. In the absence of that, the only answers that could be given would be those for properly dealing with live cables. Now that they are to be dead, then AFTER THEY ARE DEAD the answers are different - ideally you remove them altogether, if not then remove as much as is possible including cutting them under the floor so there's no way they can be reconnected by mistake, and only then can you simply fill in the hole.

Yeah I get all that and I appreciate the advice from those quality contributors like John, who obviously got offended there, and it wasn't meant in that way.

Yes all of that is very good but it's not really the solution I was looking for. After checking all the sockets in the property I figured out this one room was on a radial circuit. So that's one socket with one spur wired to it. The rest of the flat is on a ring. It was that simple. It would be good if people didn't give advice without taking the whole scenario into account, rather than give info semi-blind without asking me to clarify things first. It wasn't hard to work this out. So the radial has been taken offline at the consumer unit and the hole filled in with no box at all. I don't agree with your comments about banallsheds giving advice, he's not given me one piece of useful information in this subsection in the entire time I've been here. Perhaps in another section but so few and far between I don't recall. I still stand by the fact there are some 'old timers here' that can't accept people can do what they can, so they want to make it hard for them. He's like this in my view. It's not something I welcome. Sorry.

I would like to post progress posts here but I don't really want to because it's all negative. Hardly makes me want to contribute anything because of that.

Sponsored Links
Keep digging...

I take the time explaining myself so that people don't get upset. If people can't be bothered to read my explanation there's not a lot more I can do to keep the peace. Let's face it this thread has almost 900 views, and the vast majority of these are people coming here bored enjoying the disunitiy, and those actively trying to cause disunity for their own and others amusement, like banallsheds. You can't turn around and say it's all my problem really can you.

I mentioned it was being removed, so there's really no need for a backbox, and especially not a blanking plate.
When you say you mentioned it, are you perhaps referring to (with my highlighting):
I've no way of locating the cable under the floor to pull it out so it will remain live under the new ring is used.
Had you typed "until", rather than "under", some of those trying to give you advice might have understood what you meant, and advised you accordingly.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It would be good if people didn't give advice without taking the whole scenario into account,
Totally agree with that.

It would also help if you provided details of the whole scenario at the beginning, rather than adding fragments of information over a period of several days.

I don't agree with your comments about banallsheds giving advice, he's not given me one piece of useful information in this subsection in the entire time I've been here.
You needed to replace all of that old and desperately dangerous cable.

If your "sparky mate" did a quick bodge which did not involve such a replacement then he was neither a sparky nor a mate.

I just need to know if there is anything I've done here which will void building regulations
What about Regulation 12?

Did you apply for Building Regulations approval before starting this work?

because I will be having it signed off once completed and the connections will be made to the C/U by a sparky.
Well - in the spirit of you coming here to learn, I shall inform you that it does not work like that. An electrician may not "sign off" work done by somebody else.

Either you notify the work in advance, and gain agreement from the council about how you will comply with Part P, or you use a registered electrician or you use the services of a registered 3rd-party certifier, but they too must be found in advance.

When you say you mentioned it, are you perhaps referring to (with my highlighting):
Had you typed "until", rather than "under", some of those trying to give you advice might have understood what you meant, and advised you accordingly.

Kind Regards, John

Totally agree with that.

It would also help if you provided details of the whole scenario at the beginning, rather than adding fragments of information over a period of several days.

I'm not taking responsibility for you reading and understanding words. If you don't understand you should ask me to clarify, I'm happy to answer, why? because I'm here to get help. If you are struggling with how I'm explaining things ask me to clarify, don't just assume. If people were communicating properly this would be a one page thread by the end of it, instead it's 5 pages and dragging.

I would like to reply individually to the people that have helped post good advice in this thread but I worry it will be drowned out by certain naysayers and negative attention seeking. Posting the end result of 3 days work which have been difficult only for it to be trashed hardly encourages me or anyone to share openly. You think about that.

Last edited:
In particular, to the OP it's obvious as he's only dealing with that one thread. For the rest, they may well be following/taking part in multiple threads and it's hard keeping track of a thread where tidbits keep getting added/things clarified etc.
So if someone misses some detail, or misinterprets something, it's more than likely because of the dispersed nature of the thread and trying to keep track of several threads in memory.

I'd refer anyone asking a question to read http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html While addressing a different audience, much of the advice is applicable generally - in particular, when asking for free advice from people, go out of YOUR way to make it easy for them :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back