Electrics to Outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can an outdoor power kit, such as those sold in B&Q (Volex Outdoor Power Kit 25 Metre):

(rcd plugs into indoor socket, cable is converted to SWA outside which can be buried and then feeds to outdoor socket), also be used to supply an outbuilding, such as playden or shed? Or do outbuildings have different regulations?

If the outdoor kit can be used to supply a (water-tight/dry) playden and the outdoor socket is mounted inside the playden, can a normal extension cable be then plugged into this and used to power a plug-in-light, tv, games console, small electric heater/radiator?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it could be used this way but would be subject to a maximum load of 13amps. Also Part P of the buidling regulations would apply to this work so you might as well have it done properly.

Which part of the work does Part P apply to? I was thinking that the purpose of the B&Q kit was to allow a diy'er to install it without falling into the Part P building regulations. Thanks.

Is it a pre-fabricated kit?

Ready-assembled?

Needs no wiring work to install?

Sponsored Links
One end of the SWA is pre-wired to a waterproof socket (using gland). The other end is pre-wired to a conversion box, again through a gland. The conversion box is designed to be mounted on the outside of the house. A 3 core flex is also pre-wired into this conversion box which needs to be fed through the wall to the inside of the house. The only wiring to be done is wiring this flex to the supplied rcd plug, which is then plugged into a house socket. Does this fall into part p?

Thanks.

If it involves fixed wiring in a domestic dwelling then yes, it falls under the scope of part p.
I'm with securespark on this one, if it involves any wiring then imo it is notifiable.

If the outdoor kit can be used to supply a (water-tight/dry) playden and the outdoor socket is mounted inside the playden, can a normal extension cable be then plugged into this and used to power a plug-in-light, tv, games console, small electric heater/radiator?

If the kit claims to be rated to 13A then you can plug pretty much whatever you like up to a maximum load of 13A into the outlet, be it directly or via an extension lead.

As already mentioned, there are still legalities surrounding these kits. Obviously I don't condone breaking the law, but heck, there will be tens of other people going into B&Q buying these kits every day and installing them without the required competence, so why shouldn't you? I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but it does seem unfair that you should have to fork out an extra £100 that someone else doing the same work doesn't have to pay.

We also have to start asking at what point we're going to require part-P certification for someone to even wire a plug - after all, I'm sure plenty of people get it wrong every year and endanger the lives of themselves and others.

You could make the whole thing a fairly professional job by replacing the RCD plug on the end with an RCD FCU in the house, but whether or not you're comfortable with that is for you to decide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back