Energy efficient lights in rewire - Part L clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having an extension done and will rewire the whole house too.

Building regs Part L1 have changed to stipulate that 25% of light outlets must be low energy (displaying the L symbol on packaging) for extensions

That's okay, but a few questions if anyone knows the answer to these...

1. For the original house rewire, do I have to meet this same 25% stipulation?

2. Also, the cost of CFL downlights is huge. In the extension, would I be okay to meet the 25% requirement with a few uplights with CFL bulbs then say all downlights with standard halogen (as long as no more than 75% of total)?

3. I presume that the 25% isn't per room, but applied to the whole extension?

Sponsored Links
holmslaw is concise and correct. A couple of clarifications though:

Part L doesn't apply to rewires, but it does apply to extensions. You will have to install at least 75% energy efficient lighting in the extention, taken as a whole.

Your building inspector will be happier with the energy efficient lighting being in the places it will be used most - they aren't too interested in what's in a cupboard.

Energy efficient is defined as at least 45 lumens per watt. Some CFL downlights don't meet this standard. I don't know how hot the building inspectors are on this though.

Anything under 5 watts is ignored when calculating the percentage.

If you think CFL downlights are expensive, try looking at LED ones. You will find cheap ones, but they won't be "energy efficient".

I'm sorry I can't offer any cheaper solutions. I'm in a very similar situation with our extension, but with the added problem of wanting dimmable lighting.

One final thought - do you really want down lighters? Some on this forum hate them. I think they have their place, but are overused.

2. Also, the cost of CFL downlights is huge. In the extension, would I be okay to meet the 25% requirement with a few uplights with CFL bulbs then say all downlights with standard halogen (as long as no more than 75% of total)?
That will NOT meet the requirements.

As for cost - you are looking at the wrong lighting. CFL downlighters which are the same size as halogen spotlights are expensive and useless.
Proper fluorescent downlighters actually designed for room illumination are not, and you will need fewer of them.

Sponsored Links
Part L does not apply to rewires.

Where does it actualy say that Part L Does not apply to rewires? Its just
Section 12 of the new Domestic Building Compliance guide 2010 seems to indicate that it does apply to rewires as as it list recomendations for meeting the energy efficency requirements for both new and existing dwellings along with new and replacement lighting systems.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/domestic_building_compliance_guide_2010.pdf

Where does it actualy say that Part L Does not apply to rewires?

Approved Document L1B para 3.5

Although The Building Regulations 2010 Regulation 21, paragraph 1, mentions "the carrying out of any work to or in connection with any such building or extension".

In reality know one is going to be checking up on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back