energy suppliers crazy new fixed term contracts.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother in law is with So Energy

her energy contract runs out this week (currently pays about £185/month, detached 3 bed bungalow)

she has been offered:

A flexible rate, starting at £240 per month

B 1 year fixed contract at £330 per month

C 2 year fixed contract at £412 per month

has anybody else been quoted figures?

Sponsored Links

her energy contract runs out this week (currently pays about £185/month, detached 3 bed bungalow)

she has been offered:

Gas prices have gone hyperbolic, so expect bills to rise by about £500 plus and there will be cost push inflation, so price rises will pretty much cancel out wage rises.

Suffering is devotion.

my fixed dual fuel tarrif is coming to an end next year , and i'm looked a few days ago and the price has doubled , and i heard last night that the GAS Wholeprice went up 40% yesterday !!!!! ( 6th Oct) on Newsnight - so I'm really not sure what i'm going to do ...... as my pension just covers my outgoings, so now looks like i may need to get a part time job!!!!!

We're with OVO and we were paying £100 a month for gas and electricity. 2 of us in a 3 bed semi with gas heating, hot water and hob. I did one extra top up of £50 last year to keep things on track. We were lucky that our 2 year contract expired on October 4th and I had taken another 2 year fixed out a few weeks previous to that at £127 a month - even then I thought that was a steep enough rise. I checked it a few days ago and the same 2 year fix was £174 and a one year fixed was £214. Today, after yesterday’s gas rise, OVO are ‘unable to quote'.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am with Bulb and they keep asking for more money. Currently pay £140, which is more than I have been using. They "suggest" I increase my payments to £260.
No idea what my actual bill will be. Trying not to use to much gas, not much we can do about electric though.

We're with OVO and we’re paying £100 a month for gas and electricity. I did one extra top up of £50 last year. We were lucky that our 2 year contract expired on October 4th and I had taken another 2 year fixed out a few weeks previous to that at £127 a month. I checked it a few days ago and the same 2 year fix was £174 and a one year fixed was £214. Today, after yesterday’s gas rise, OVO are ‘unable to quote'.

I wouldn't take out a fixed conract right now.

I think my bills will rise by about £500-700.

I am with Bulb and they keep asking for more money. Currently pay £140, which is more than I have been using. They "suggest" I increase my payments to £260.
No idea what my actual bill will be. Trying not to use to much gas, not much we can do about electric though.

For Queen and country. Wrap yourself up in a blanket and don't heat your food, eat it cold.

Suffering is devotion. :mrgreen:

I think I might just by a few sheets of that foil insulation and wrap it around my bed, and then stay there til April.

she has been offered:

i assume the standard "you need do nothing and we will switch you to the standard tarriff" is what she will automatically move to ??
have you checked this tarrif is not lower ??

i assume the standard "you need do nothing and we will switch you to the standard tarriff" is what she will automatically move to ??
have you checked this tarrif is not lower ??
thanks for that.

I will check but I think what they call "flexible" is their standard tariff.

thanks for that.

I will check but I think what they call "flexible" is their standard tariff.
everything they have offered will include the latest price rises as they arnt capped but the "moved to tariff" will be subject to the cap??

its in there interest to entice you on to a new contract as you will then sign your rights away to the old cap??

Does she have a south or south west facing roof of a decent size or is it full of Dormas?
- 4kw solar plus battery storage and reversible aircon will give her change from £10k and get her reliance on gas right down.

In the meantime its probably not worth going fixed as prices are fluctuating rather than steadily rising. There is a price point were production increases as seen by the Russian announcement this week.

Find out if you are in credit or debit and if so by how much. BG once told me they were increasing my DD by £54 one year. I queried it and found I was over £100 in credit. I told them to do one and they actually reduced my payments by about £20

Sponsored Links
Back