Engine oil

Its the advanced machining available that allows the very thin synthetic oils - after all, no running in - to be used today, but for the old clunker engines you can guarantee that mechanical noise would be much more noticable!
Consider the oil change intervals too....on many petrol engines, the oil comes out almost as clean as it went in.
On diesels, turbo speeds dictate very high spec oils, and its the detergent within that makes the oil so black.
We notice that there's little distinction between diesel and petrol lubricants these days - often enough, one brew is fine for both.
John :)

Hang on, did you just say "advanced machining" in a post about 40 year old aircooled VW engines?! :LOL: Surely the straight 30 is THINNER (when up to temperature) than (say) a 10W40 (or 20W50, or whatever), with a higher second number?

This is the bit I can't understand. I always thought that the advantage of a multigrade was that it retained its viscosity better at higher temperatures whilst not being as thick when cold? So in other words, a straight 30 has a viscosity of "x" at 10 degrees and a viscosity of "y" at 100 degrees (where "y" is a lot less than "x", and a straight 50 oil has a greater viscosity than the 30 at both 10 degrees and 100 degrees, but a 30W50 has the viscosity of the 30 when cold and the 50 when hot. If that's the case, won't the 30W50 will be thicker than the 30 when hot, and about the same as the 30 when cold?

Obviously, I agree that modern machining tolerances are much tighter and bearing materials better, but I think modern cars use the thinner oils mainly to improve emissions and fuel consumption when cold.

Now whether there's OTHER stuff in the modern oils that's bad for older engines is a different question. I believe a lot of the latest advances in oils are to do with making them better for use with cats and particulate filters, but I honestly don't know for certain.

I've run Alfas for a while now and I know that they "like a drop of oil". That's something of an understatement, if they burned any more they'd be 2-strokes!!! Anyway, Alfa have started recommending 10W60 fully synthetic in some of their engines, and I must admit, it DOES reduce oil consumption quite dramatically. I think the huge range of viscosities has only become possible with fully synthetic oils, so for all I know, they'd have recommended it for their older engines if it had been available at the time. I run an old V6 (1989) which does about 750 miles to the pint of mineral 10W40. I've been wondering about trying this tricky new stuff in it (but it holds 7.5 litres so it would cost more than the car is worth)!

Sponsored Links
I have always used Comma oil now about £13.50 for 5 litres at Trago Mills, when I got my 406 and C5 Hdi's I thought I would have to upgrade, not a bit of it, the spec is fine for those. As previously mentioned, cheaper oil and more frequent oil changes are more benificial than expensive oil. I have had nearly 300,000 miles from a couple of my engines.

Peter

Its interesting to note that some of the highly stressed engines around don't necessarily recommend a fully synthetic......my Honda motorbike (168 BHP, up to 13000 RPM :eek: ) needs only a semi synthetic. Now I can understand that piston / cylinder wise but Honda reckons the cams and crank have a better time too.
Also, another phenomenon is the recommendation of certain oils for emission purposes, but if the engine doesn't burn any, what then?
No matter - lets stick with what the manufacturer recommends....we can't argue with them!

Sponsored Links
Yes it has, John - I can appreciate that friction is needed here :p people who use these engines in hill climb kit cars don't mention clutch issues using fully synthetic.
Honda reckon the cam chain lasts longer with semi synth too.
Its great that a 3 year warranty is still offered on a motor that can rev as fast - it does show complete faith in their product.

I laid in a stock of oil without the friction reducers, needed for a wet clutch, I think it was SH grade, before it went off the shelves after SJ was introduced. The big names changed fastest.

Back