Ensuite shower - tanking, or just tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to fit an ensuite, 1m deep by 2.4m wide, usual layout, sink in front of door, toilet and shower to either side. Shower will be 1m x 0.8m.

I was initially thinking wetroom style, but given the restriced space, it would still need a shower door/screen. I therefore thuoght I'd prefer a low profile shower tray, with the door/screen attached to the wall.

Question is, how would I ensure watertightness? Would tiles/grouting on regular plasterboard be sufficient (assuming shower tray/silcone sealant)?

Sponsored Links
What are the walls constructed of, stud & plasterboard or brick & plaster? Is it a new room?

All walls surrounding the shower section will be stud+plasterboard. The only brick section is on the outside wall, where the toilet will be

Sponsored Links
Prime the P/board with Bal Prime APD, then trowel the wall with rapid setting single part tile adhesive (4mm notched trowel) then apply Homelux or Schluter Kerdi tanking membrane, then apply a section of matting in the internal corner(s) with a 2" overlap onto your existing sheet. Tiles can be fixed straight away, no need to wait for adhesive to set. This tanking system will provide a 100% waterproof guarantee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back