Ethical dilemma

Sponsored Links
I'd save the human, becasue animals are scum, especially dogs.

Mut admit Joe my first thought was 100% to save the human ....but you do have a very valid point... I don't suppose if push came to shove I could ever deliberately leave anyone to die. Normally speaking I would save the human without a doubt.

Sponsored Links
If you follow NHS guidelines there will be no dilemma. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Before it was all computerized, we had to attend a fire safety lecture each year and I clearly remember the last one. Along with the usual stuff about how to raise the alarm and which fire extinguishers were good for what, there was the advice on what to do if the alarm sounded. The answer: Get out (obviously) and if you see anybody that can't get out --

You leave them! :eek: :eek: :eek:

This raised quite a few eyebrows but the instructor was adamant. "Your first priority is to get yourself out and you will be supported in that." Did that mean that if the radiographers cleared off and left their patient shut in the room, the NHS would back them up in any subsequent court case.

"Yes." was the answer to that one. Dilemma solved. You leave the human and the dog.

PS: I got the distinct impression that the instructor was in a majority of one on this point so, if you're unlucky enough to be shut in a treatment room, don't worry (because you've got enough to worry about already). We can't promise to cure you but we certainly won't leave you to burn! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In the care home where I work, all staff have fire training twice a year. Standing orders vary depending on whether it's day or night. During the day, we'd have a staged evacuation, moving residents from one zone to the next safest zone. At night time however the order is to call the fire services and for staff to evacuate the building, leaving residents for the emergency services to deal with. I don't know one member of staff who could do that. I know they'd do what they could to save lives. Must be a human thing to save another human being in danger. ;) ;)

It's evolution to protect the species.

Have to agree with Joe. In real life situations, there are people who'll ignore H&S regs/advice and just get on with what's necessary to save a life. (usually just members of the public who ain't gonna get hauled over the coals for not following rules etc)
In real life situations though, I'm sure we do a continuous assessment of the situation and won't put ourselves in excessive danger. Unlike the emergency services who are bound by H&S dictats. Remember the case last year of someone who was drowning in a boating lake? The lake was about 2 or 3ft deep at the most and the emergency services had to wait over 40 minutes for a trained water rescue team to arrive. Afterwards the fire brigade and police went to great lengths trying to explain why they had to follow procedure, rather than wade in and perhaps save the person.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Park-pond-emergency-workers-stand-watch.html

What would you have done peaps?

Does anyone remember that daft singer Leo Sayer? As a young man he risked his life getting people out of a hotel on fire that he worked at. He was a lift operator at the time.

Have to agree with Joe. In real life situations, there are people who'll ignore H&S regs/advice and just get on with what's necessary to save a life. (usually just members of the public who ain't gonna get hauled over the coals for not following rules etc)
In real life situations though, I'm sure we do a continuous assessment of the situation and won't put ourselves in excessive danger. Unlike the emergency services who are bound by H&S dictats. Remember the case last year of someone who was drowning in a boating lake? The lake was about 2 or 3ft deep at the most and the emergency services had to wait over 40 minutes for a trained water rescue team to arrive. Afterwards the fire brigade and police went to great lengths trying to explain why they had to follow procedure, rather than wade in and perhaps save the person.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Park-pond-emergency-workers-stand-watch.html

What would you have done peaps?

I see we are getting somewhere ;)

"Health and Safety is not about your health, or my safety. It is about a tyrannical arm, which has infiltrated most governments on this planet, controlling your actions and stopping you thinking for yourself."

From the comments.

I would have gone in for the man, I'm a very strong swimmer and hold my bronze, silver and gold lifesaving badges. If my dog was in the water as well, I would save my dog.

We all make an informed decision based on self and the worth of other in the situation.

Regulation has nothing to do with these choices we make.

Still waiting for them links about ALF killing ect. Mink liberations are a no brainer.

No. It overrides silly stuff like that.

I can't agree that evolution has a role in us protection our own kind, we obviously don't jump to the rescue. People walk past children in the street even though they are in distress. I seem to remember a story not too long ago where a kid with a broken arm or leg was left at the side of the road in a busy town/city. People just walked on by!!

Sponsored Links
Back