EV are they worth it?

That's not proof.

Well, they're all your own words (unless you're going to claim that someone has hacked your DIYnot account)?
I'm not really sure how else to interpret a statement like:

"I just don't worry about it. future generations have to sort it out."... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
5472.jpg

More than 90% of new cars sold in Norway are electric. And it all started with some pop stars driving around in a jerry-built Fiat Panda

Read on macduff@ the Grauniad

So, how does the community feel about EVs now the Dacia spring is now coming to the UK, which is within spitting distance of being the cheapest car you can buy.

Sponsored Links
Watched a video from the fastest diesel engined car about their new hydrogen powered engine, and one has to question are EV's really the future.

And JCB is British.
Hydrogen car sales dropped 30% last year.

They totalled 14,500 last year. The model Y alone sold 1,200,000.

Hydrogen cars are a joke. There's no reason to think that will change. There's probably more news articles written about them than units sold.

Last edited:
their new hydrogen powered engine,
It's relatively easy to make an internal combustion engine that runs on hydrogen. Plenty of people already have. They are not new at all.

What's far more difficult is making the rest of the system that goes with it and packaging that into a vehicle in such a way that actually makes sense, and also providing a source of hydrogen and the distribution infrastructure that goes with it.
Plenty have tried that and all have failed.
Doesn't matter whether it's a combustion engine or a fuel cell stack. Most of the problem isn't the energy converter - it's everything else.

Everything about hydrogen is expensive, inconvenient and totally unsuitable for powering cars and other vehicles.

The video was JCB and the fuel bowser was part of package. And clearly not cars. They pointed out a diesel and petrol engine can't really be converted to hydrogen it would be whole engine replacement. They are low revving and blown to get the excess air needed to avoid nox.

But it was clear this is one method specially in countries which have loads of sun and no oil or gas.

The video was JCB and the fuel bowser was part of package. And clearly not cars. They pointed out a diesel and petrol engine can't really be converted to hydrogen it would be whole engine replacement. They are low revving and blown to get the excess air needed to avoid nox.

But it was clear this is one method specially in countries which have loads of sun and no oil or gas.
.... so places perfectly set up for much cheaper solar power?

Exactly places where loads of electric to turn into hydrogen. Which can be transported far easier than electric and can be transferred far faster than using lithium.
Hydrogen is a bitch to transport. it's not like petrol or even natural gas. You've either got to use expensive pipes or expensive and ineffective lorries.

It's also expensive, around three times the price of using electricity. That's for black hydrogen by the way, green would need a massive infrastructure that won't exist before 2040 to give it the faintest hope that it might drop to that price.

But PV? If you're way out in the middle of nowhere then build your array locally. Or run a simple power cable.if you're close enough.

It was
this Harry's farm video, it is clearly not there yet, but also clear that battery powered engineering plant will not work either, I agree the pressures involved are rather high, but getting an electric refuelling bowser like the hydrogen one shown, just can see it happening.

, but also clear that battery powered engineering plant will not work either,
Komatsu, Bobcat, Caterpillar, Volvo, Case and the rest of JCBs competitors disagree. They already have electric construction machinery.

JCB are being swerved into hydrogen because Lord Bamford is obsessed with combustion engines. There is no other reason.

1 kWh of electricity will push my car 3 and a bit miles. If I used that same 1 kWh to make hydrogen and put it through a fuel cell, it would maybe push my car 1 mile. If I burned the hydrogen in an ICE, I'd get perhaps half a mile. Basically, nothing to do with hydrogen can even come close to the efficiency of putting the electricity straight into the battery of a BEV.

It was
this Harry's farm video, it is clearly not there yet, but also clear that battery powered engineering plant will not work either, I agree the pressures involved are rather high, but getting an electric refuelling bowser like the hydrogen one shown, just can see it happening.
So, a new engine rather than a conversion, which would have been more interesting.

Less torque than a diesel, let alone electric which can deliver more torque.

Lean fuel-air mix to reduce NOX, at the cost of compression ratio (and some torque).

They've effectively ended development on their diesel engines.

Still have the noise and vibration of a combustion engine. Although slightly changed.

100kg of hydrogen in a bowser, he thinks 3,000 litres of volume.

Efficiency wise Fuel cells and electric motors are generally twice as efficient as diesel.

$3 a kg (needed for price parity with Diesel )isn't forecast in the near future. Prices of $5-8 in 2030 are expected but that's not pump price, that's the equivalent of well prices. At the moment it costs an insane $33 a kg at the pumps, up from a previous price of $15. But even at cost parity with Diesel it's twice to three times more expensive than a battery electric.

6 kg of hydrogen a day is roughly similar to 200kWh of electricity (33kWh per kg). That's not a huge battery these days. Even if it were swappable batteries already exist and are for sale for farm equipment.

At current real world prices it's five to ten times as expensive as diesel to run on dirty hydrogen.

It's an impressive technical achievement, like making a steam powered car. Impressive but ridiculous, it's like blackberry insisting that they just need a better keyboard to beat the iPhone.

It's taking a fuel cell vehicle and making it worse.

Sponsored Links
Back