Expanded ULEZ

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know interesting stuff about why there aren't (many) conversion kits to retrofit, to make vehicles compliant?
Possibly computer remapping, something added to the exhaust?

How GREEN is it to scrap a 6 year old car? It's preposterous!

Sponsored Links
found this snippet
and this
So if the Beddington one is fairly new, the older ones must pollute more, and with 3 and the possibility of 2 more it equates to approximately 250,000 cars if using the Beddington figures as a rough guide.

Does anyone know interesting stuff about why there aren't (many) conversion kits to retrofit, to make vehicles compliant?
Possibly computer remapping, something added to the exhaust?

How GREEN is it to scrap a 6 year old car? It's preposterous!
Yeah it makes no sense. My g/fs diesel does 50% more mpg than mine and hers is "dirty" and mine "clean". She's very upset that Ikea is now off limits :rolleyes:

found this snippet
and this
So if the Beddington one is fairly new, the older ones must pollute more, and with 3 and the possibility of 2 more it equates to approximately 250,000 cars if using the Beddington figures as a rough guide.
Which is quite a lot.

Of course there are 2.5 million cars in London, so while it's large, cars are a bigger problem.

I do find it bizarre that all the incinerators I know of are in densely populated areas. Sheffield's for one is in a valley. But I suppose they make the mess, so they get the crap from burning it. It wouldn't really be fair on those who currently live in clean air areas if one opened next door. I think they have some pretty decent filtering and processing on the chimneys though.

It would be extremely expensive to convert a Euro 5 diesel to Euro 6. For starters, mine has a 17 litre tank of adblue under the boot floor, which probably formed part of the crash testing. Then it needs an exhaust with at least three extra components (injector, filter, sensor). Then a computer has to control it all and, most importantly of all, there are very strict interlocks that ensure you must use it. If the Adblue tank gets low then you get a 500 mile countdown warning, after which it won't let you start the engine until you put some in. You just couldn't retrofit this sort of bossiness into an existing car, the result would be that people would have a pretend box-ticking system fitted that would never get used in reality. It would all be a huge loophole, ebay would be full of pretend Adblue kits that were just a flashing LED.

Besides, it's not environmental to fit a load of new components to an old car that might be scrapped in a couple of years. It makes more sense to scrap the old cars and make bean tins out of them.

I bought a diesel earlier this year. They're definitely not giving them away for peanuts. I carefully selected one that's ULEZ compliant, but this model was updated to Euro 6 halfway through its lifetime and I saw very little difference in price between the compliant ones and the older non-compliant ones - other than the usual mileage and age of course. Unless something's changed drastically in the last six months I didn't see any effect of the ULEZ thing on price.

Also mine is budget-conscious as it's £30 road tax and 64mpg official (50mpg real world), so probably costs about the same as an electric car to run.

I'm guessing that your Audi is thirsty presumably with high road tax to accompany, and it's probably got one too many digits on its mileage. If so then most people definitely won't want it. People who buy cheap old cars usually aren't rich, otherwise they'd buy a new one.

Mine was almost exactly a quarter of its new price at six years old. But I'm sure it wasn't a good investment, it will be worthless in another six years as they all become worthless eventually. I reckon I can run it for a grand or two per year, if so it's cheap motoring considering it's a posh modern car with all the toys and safety features and not a dodgy old banger.
Yes, it's a thirsty car.
What do you expect from a 300bhp monster?
Although, at 70mph on motorways I get 60mpg easily.
Road tax is £360 and it's 65k miles, so well below average.
I'm thinking of keeping it in my front garden and decorate it with slogans against the khant.

Another Khan pocket picking has taken place today.
Anyone over 60 living in a London Borough got an Oyster 60+ travel card, free. Entitled you to travel at any time on tubes, overground, busses and trams in any London borough. Very handy for those over 60’s who were still working. They put a suspension on the times - not before 9.00 on weekdays, to 'protect' people during the pandemic. Only temporary, you understand. Well, apparently not. It’s been such a 'success' that good ol' Khan, the workers champion and son of a bus driver has decided to make it permanent.

"From today, Wednesday 18 January 2023, the temporary suspension of free travel for 60+ Oyster photocard and Older Persons’ Freedom Pass holders between 04:30 and 09:00 on weekdays, which was put in place during the pandemic, will become permanent".

I suppose he knows it’s his last term as Mayor and wants to leave a 'legacy' with the transport system and ULEZ. That legacy being that working class people over 60 who depend on free travel or anyone that relies on an old banger to get to their low paid jobs in a London borough can just **** right off!

Last edited:
Anyone over 60 living in a London Borough got an Oyster 60+ travel card, free. Entitled you to travel at any time on tubes, overground, busses and trams in any London borough. Very handy for those over 60’s who were still working. They put a suspension on the times - not before 9.00 on weekdays, to 'protect' people during the pandemic. Only temporary, you understand. Well, apparently not. It’s been such a 'success' that good ol' Khan, the workers champion and son of a bus driver has decided to make it permanent.

"From today, Wednesday 18 January 2023, the temporary suspension of free travel for 60+ Oyster photocard and Older Persons’ Freedom Pass holders between 04:30 and 09:00 on weekdays, which was put in place during the pandemic, will become permanent".

I suppose he knows it’s his last term as Mayor and wants to leave a 'legacy'…..
He's a fuc#ing khan!
He hates people and people hate him.

I suppose he knows it’s his last term as Mayor and wants to leave a 'legacy' with the transport system and ULEZ. That legacy being that working class people over 60 who depend on free travel or anyone that relies on an old banger to get to their low paid jobs in a London borough can just **** right off!
If they need to travel during rush hour they can suck it up just like young working class people. If they're working why should they be subsidised by everyone else.

At least they get their return for free.

Sponsored Links
Back