Expanded ULEZ

It was the same with charges to use the M60. They were proposed, prices published, who had to pay and we all said sack that for a game of soldiers.
In my experience, Manchester and its environs are the worst place to navigate by car in the country, after London.
Hence, I avoid jobs there wherever possible.

Sponsored Links
I will be very surprised if this goes ahead as planned. There is a lot of opposition in outer London. It will kill business and many councils are refusing the installation of cameras. Ofcourse when the original congestion charging scheme started the cameras largely didn't work, so they may well use patrols as they did then.

TFL reckon 85% of cars in the zone are compliant. From what I can see, its less than 50%. Lots of older 2015 diesels around.

Reports are showing that the Mayor manipulated the consultation to exclude many of the 65% of consultation respondents who objected.

Last edited:
Daft thing is, any car fitted with a CAT or DPF is actually extremely clean and the cars that weigh the most, the EV's, especially the powerful ones, are kicking up loads more particulates. This is a tax and money raiser, nothing more, nothing less and it is people on lower incomes, those that can't afford newer cars, that will suffer most....
https://earth.org/tyre-pollution/
For more information:

The main problem with EVs and tyre particulates is that they're more powerful and so it's easier to shred the tyres when pulling off from a stop. The added weight of the vehicles doesn't make much difference.

Sponsored Links
I know a grandad-type driver who's had priuses (prii?) since they came out, who swears his tyres last longer than on the cars he used to have.
Khan will probably introduce acceleration-rate cameras to earn him more money. G-cameras.

Is their any limit to the downsides in owning EVs? Tesla just screwed their existing customers by reducing list prices in Jan by as much as £9000 - devaluing most Teslas overnight. Even at the lower price these blandmobiles are still over valued.

Getting the idea EV owners like being shafted while paying through the nose for the privilige.

I'm livid to the bones!
I have to get rid of 2 perfect cars because of a midget with napoleon syndrome.
My Audi was paid £60k when new 12 years ago (not by me).
It's now worth £3k on a good day!
It looks like it's just come out of the factory.
The Velona leather on its own was an eye watering £5k extra.
Bose system another £3k.
And all the other shyte that the previous owner got fitted.
Now I feel like I'm scrapping it at 70k miles.
The other car, VW is 25 years old. Last year I did clutch, cam belt, auxiliary belts, water pump, all pulleys and tensioners, valve cover gasket, new coolant reservoir, new brake fluid reservoir, brembo brakes, new tyres, new pas fluid, new transmission fluid. I spent over £1500 and a week work.
Now as it stands, the car is worth nothing, just scrap money (£200).
Bloody khant!

I'm livid to the bones!
I have to get rid of 2 perfect cars because of a midget with napoleon syndrome.
My Audi was paid £60k when new 12 years ago (not by me).
It's now worth £3k on a good day!
It looks like it's just come out of the factory.
The Velona leather on its own was an eye watering £5k extra.
Bose system another £3k.
And all the other shyte that the previous owner got fitted.
Now I feel like I'm scrapping it at 70k miles.
The other car, VW is 25 years old. Last year I did clutch, cam belt, auxiliary belts, water pump, all pulleys and tensioners, valve cover gasket, new coolant reservoir, new brake fluid reservoir, brembo brakes, new tyres, new pas fluid, new transmission fluid. I spent over £1500 and a week work.
Now as it stands, the car is worth nothing, just scrap money (£200).
Bloody khant!
Sell them outside London.

Sell them outside London.
Same price.
The Audi is a 300bhp diesel, so already expensive to run. Will be scrap in a couple of years with the war on diesel.
The passat is 25 years old, so despite being maintained perfectly and only on 120k miles, it's worth scrap money.
I think my best bet would be to park them in the drive and sorn them.
Then sell all the parts.

Same price.
The Audi is a 300bhp diesel, so already expensive to run. Will be scrap in a couple of years with the war on diesel.
The passat is 25 years old, so despite being maintained perfectly and only on 120k miles, it's worth scrap money.
I think my best bet would be to park them in the drive and sorn them.
Then sell all the parts.
A 25 year old car will always have virtually no resale value. It's bangernomics territory.

I'm more surprised by the Audi, I didn't know they lost that much value that fast. It's still just below the average age of the cars on the road.

A 25 year old car will always have virtually no resale value. It's bangernomics territory.

I'm more surprised by the Audi, I didn't know they lost that much value that fast. It's still just below the average age of the cars on the road.
Diesel cars have their days numbered unfortunately.
I'm gonna go and swear like a drunk sailor now, please excuse me...

Keeping existing cars on the road is more environmentally friendly than building new cars, even electric ones. ULEZ zones are a waste of money and resources and have been shown to having virtually no influence on pollution levels in towns or cities. The proposed expansion of the ULEZ zone in London has been shown to be based on misinformation, manipulated voting mechanisms and untruths.

Diesel cars have their days numbered unfortunately.
I'm gonna go and swear like a drunk sailor now, please excuse me...
I bought a diesel earlier this year. They're definitely not giving them away for peanuts. I carefully selected one that's ULEZ compliant, but this model was updated to Euro 6 halfway through its lifetime and I saw very little difference in price between the compliant ones and the older non-compliant ones - other than the usual mileage and age of course. Unless something's changed drastically in the last six months I didn't see any effect of the ULEZ thing on price.

Also mine is budget-conscious as it's £30 road tax and 64mpg official (50mpg real world), so probably costs about the same as an electric car to run.

I'm guessing that your Audi is thirsty presumably with high road tax to accompany, and it's probably got one too many digits on its mileage. If so then most people definitely won't want it. People who buy cheap old cars usually aren't rich, otherwise they'd buy a new one.

Mine was almost exactly a quarter of its new price at six years old. But I'm sure it wasn't a good investment, it will be worthless in another six years as they all become worthless eventually. I reckon I can run it for a grand or two per year, if so it's cheap motoring considering it's a posh modern car with all the toys and safety features and not a dodgy old banger.

Sponsored Links
Back