Extendable dog leads

Richardp said:
Dog bites represent an important healthcare problem ranging from trivial to fatal injuries, often unappreciated by the general public. The majority of victims are children.
Children under 12 years account for 50% of dog bites. Children under 5 years of age account for the majority of severe dog bites. Large breed dogs account for most of the bites and German Shepherds or German Shepherd mixes are the most common breed. :evil:

Yet again, these are dogs who do not have responsible owners. This cannot be stressed strongly enough. A dog should never be left alone with a child. Yes, some dogs might be pre-disposed to it, but a dog should never be left alone with a child. 'Period'. Owning a dog requires a MASSIVE amount of responsibililty - a lot of people don't appreciate this. And you absolutely have to make sure you are top of the pack and the dog is right at the very bottom. Sometimes it makes me feel uncomfortable as it is like bullying! But it is a dog. Always make them move - never step over them, always make sure you are first when walking or going into or out of a house, through a gate. Don't let them on the couch, never pick them up, ignore them sometimes when they want attention, take their toys and food off them and make sure they are quiet/sitting before you give it back. Those are just a few examples. Hence my original statement.

I have had 3 German Shepherds and never had any problems. That is because we trained them properly. It is hard work but you don't get any problems and get more out of the dog if you do this.

And why is it mainly children? Could it be because they are at the same height as children? Could it be because the children torment them? Children also need to learn (from their parents, no less) not to torment animals of any kind.

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
Richardp said:
Dog bites represent an important healthcare problem ranging from trivial to fatal injuries, often unappreciated by the general public. The majority of victims are children.
Children under 12 years account for 50% of dog bites. Children under 5 years of age account for the majority of severe dog bites. Large breed dogs account for most of the bites and German Shepherds or German Shepherd mixes are the most common breed. :evil:

Yet again, these are dogs who do not have responsible owners. This cannot be stressed strongly enough. A dog should never be left alone with a child. Yes, some dogs might be pre-disposed to it, but a dog should never be left alone with a child. 'Period'. Owning a dog requires a MASSIVE amount of responsibililty - a lot of people don't appreciate this. And you absolutely have to make sure you are top of the pack and the dog is right at the very bottom. Sometimes it makes me feel uncomfortable as it is like bullying! But it is a dog. Always make them move - never step over them, always make sure you are first when walking or going into or out of a house, through a gate. Don't let them on the couch, never pick them up, ignore them sometimes when they want attention, take their toys and food off them and make sure they are quiet/sitting before you give it back. Those are just a few examples. Hence my original statement.

I have had 3 German Shepherds and never had any problems. That is because we trained them properly. It is hard work but you don't get any problems and get more out of the dog if you do this.

And why is it mainly children? Could it be because they are at the same height as children? Could it be because the children torment them? Children also need to learn (from their parents, no less) not to torment animals of any kind.

you started off well, you had me in your camp eating outta your hand then you said
And why is it mainly children? Could it be because they are at the same height as children? Could it be because the children torment them?
I was going to post a picture of a child's wounded face but couldn't bring myself to look at it and I'd be exploiting that sad image for my own agument. why do you want those dogs? why not get a hamster?

nstreet wrote:

IMO if you not prepared to pick up the mess and train the dog to take a leak in appropriate places, you shouldn't have a dog in the first place

I agree.

I had a confrontation with a young guy this morning with a extendable dog lead on a timber wolf dog I have a staffy and i always have him on a lead when there is people and dogs about but when its quiet i let him off .The guy was on the other side of the path about 5 metres away and let his timberwolf dog come right over to mine approx 5 metre away from the owner and mine went mad barking growling etc and his doing the same he thought it amusing i told him why cant you retract the lead for your dog and control him !!!!! he had no reply but to let his dog carry on barking until i threatened him saying we can put the dogs away and come back if he fancied his chances with me and he pulled his dog back and we had a few more words and he left where is the brains in having a huge dog on a extendable dog lead ??? i have seen the very same dog attack a defenseless highland terrier again both dogs on the lead and the guy had no control what so ever over his timber wolf dog it really annoys me where is the brains with some people ???????

Sponsored Links
Back