Extending bathroom wall tiles and moving tile trim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear DIYNot forum members,

Hope that you are doing well in this difficult time!

I was hoping to ask you for some advice before taking on the task of extending an existing bathroom tiles! Basically, I would like to add another column of tiles to the left of the existing ones.

1) Is it safe to mount the new set of tiles to the painted wall, or do I need to prepare it somehow?

2) Is there a way to take out the metal tile trim without damaging the existing tiles? How would you go about it?

Any other recommendations and advice on potential pitfalls would be greatly appreciated!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Nigh impossible to remove tile trim without removing vertical course on top of it , assuming you have matching tiles it would mean replacing two verticle rows with new tiles . Remove as much wall paint as possible , score area and througherly clean , comb adhesive on wall area and fit new tiles and trim , grout after 24hrs .

Ive cut thr alloy trims out with a multitool by cutting the visible edge parallel to the wall leaving the part under the tile where it is.
I did toy with the idea of leaving the existing trim, fitting the extra row with a new trim on the outer edge.
You could set that out to see if you could live with it.

Big thanks to Tudors and LostInTheLight for the comments! I think I may try to cut the visible part out with a multitool!

Sponsored Links
Big thanks to Tudors and LostInTheLight for the comments! I think I may try to cut the visible part out with a multitool!
Did you get this to work? I also have the same issue and was wondering about how to extend it pass the bath tub and if I can tile directly over the drywall.

Did you get this to work? I also have the same issue and was wondering about how to extend it pass the bath tub and if I can tile directly over the drywall.
Sorry for taking so long to respond! In the end I have removed all damaged paint from the wall, filled in where necessary, sanded down and painted with a high-quality paint made specifically for bathrooms. A few years of regular splashing on - the wall is still in good state!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back