Extension lead length

J

jonathen

Hi all,

I currently have my PC and a load of other peripherals plugged into a 6-gang 2-metre surge protector extension lead. There are not enough sockets so I have to switch between devices which is a pain. Unfortunately it does not quite reach the mains socket, so it is daisy-chained into another, shorter extension lead.

I am under the impression this is not safe practice - first of all, why is this not safe practise? What threat does it pose?

Secondly, I want to remove the threat so I need a 3 or 4 metre extension cable that is 8 or 10-gang, and preferably surge protected. But do you think I can find one? Not for love nor money! I have been to every electrical and DIY store and have scoured the Internet but cannot find one.

I can get 8/10-gang extensions that are 1 or 2 metre. I can get 3/4/5 metre extensions that are only 2 or 4 gang. But no 3/4/5 metre 8/10-gang.

Is there a reason these are not available? Like some kind of safety issue? Or is it just supply/demand? Does anyone know if there is this type of config available?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Well, the plugs are required for:

monitor
pc #1
pc #2
belkin kvm
speakers
printer
cable-modem
digital camera
side-light

You see, it's in part of the room that has no wall sockets at all and is about 3 metres from the nearest wall sockets.

Diyisfun said:
Thats a lot of periferals, are they all PC related?

No, this is a lot of peripherals

sockets.jpg

:eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
It's not instantly unsafe, as computer peripherals do not consume that much electricity and you are probably well within the limits of the leads. The reason it's deemed bad practice though is that some people with only 1 socket in a room will daisy chain them together and plug in a lot of items including some high power appliances (heaters for example). This will overload the 13A fuse in the plug it will blow. After one or two times people get sick of replacing the fuse and it has been known for people to put a nail/pipe etc. in the fuse carrier to stop it blowing. This is very dangerous and can lead to fires.

My attitude is that if you need to daisy chain extension leads together you should just get a permanent socket fitted. But I appreciate not everyone wants the hassle/expense. You are allowed to extend your circuit if you feel confident and this might be a cheaper solution than the extension leads.

Davy

davy_owen_88 said:
might be a cheaper solution than the extension leads.

Davy

no it isnt, not by a long chalk.

trouble is with a pc you can have, monitor, speakers, scanner, subwoofer, powered usb hub, pc tower, charger for mose (cordless) charger for keybopard (cordless)router, external hard drive, external zip disc etc etc, so that is why people daisy chain 4 way blocks together

all of which only draw a few hundred miliamp each at most, so nowhere near 13A

oh forgot to mention surge proteced 4 /6 way block

The reason I understand cascading extension leads is frowned upon is you can end up with a very long lead of small CSA which may not disconnect quickly enough in a fault. Not such a problem with short leads.

Oh i forgot, digital camera, other pc tower, scanner,monitor,speakers external hard drive, printers etc

I would suggest that you only daist chain when you really must

plug one 4 way blcok in, then other 4 way blocks ito this.

that will give you 16 sockets that should be enough

breezer said:
davy_owen_88 said:
might be a cheaper solution than the extension leads.

Davy

no it isnt, not by a long chalk.

A 4 metre 8 gang surge protected extension lead (if they are even manufactured) will unlikely be cheaper than a double socket and 2 metres of twin and earth.

For comparisons sake (TLC):

£8.40 - 6 Way Anti Surge Extension Socket c/w 2m Lead (not suitable but the best they offer)
£8.32 - 2m twin and earth + double socket + back box + delivery

He's already got the short extension leads so he wouldn't need anything else.

I'd rather folk used plug in leads, rather than trying to wire in 4 twin sockets them selves.

pre made leads are safe enough. 4 spurs from one socket, installed by someone who doesn't know what they are doing is not safe.

davy_owen_88 said:
£8.40 - 6 Way Anti Surge Extension Socket c/w 2m Lead (not suitable but the best they offer)

He's already got the short extension leads so he wouldn't need anything else.

no comparison, mine is still cheaper

£8.40 - 6 Way Anti Surge Extension Socket c/w 2m Lead

too many + in that

assuming you do mean that is the whole lot though.

£8.40 - 6 Way Anti Surge

£8.32 - double socket

your way saves a whole 8p (whoopie)

my way you get 6 sockets (with anti surge)

your way only 2 sockets with no anti surge

not rocket science is it.

RF Lighting said:
I'd rather folk used plug in leads, rather than trying to wire in 4 twin sockets them selves.

pre made leads are safe enough. 4 spurs from one socket, installed by someone who doesn't know what they are doing is not safe.

I'm not saying he should wire in enough sockets for everything, I just meant he could wire a spur a bit closer so he doesn't need to daisy chain the leads.

And how do we know he doesn't know what he's doing? I know there are some idiots out there but its not fair to assume everyone is unable to wire a socket safely when given suitable guidance.

Davy

so whats the point of yours then?

person in your scenario,

has to find help (ok we know about diynot, not everyone does) go and get right kit wire it in and still only get 2 sockets

my scenario

buy surge protected 4-6 or 10 way block plug it in

no, i don't want to argue over this, its not worth it, and no point in upsetting anyone, its just a fact of life that my way is eaier, fullproof and what joe public will do

breezer said:
so whats the point of yours then?

person in your scenario,

has to find help (ok we know about diynot, not everyone does) go and get right kit wire it in and still only get 2 sockets

my scenario

buy surge protected 4-6 or 10 way block plug it in

no, i don't want to argue over this, its not worth it, and no point in upsetting anyone, its just a fact of life that my way is eaier, fullproof and what joe public will do

I'm certainly not arguing, your just making comments to make my advice seem totally ridiculous.

The original poster didn't want the leads daisy chained - your solution is what he's got now. My solution is a possible option with little extra cost.

I totally agree that your solution is easier, perfectly safe (for his needs) and what most people would do. That doesn't mean it's the only solution worth considering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back