extra socket in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

i moved into my present house recently...its about 8 years old
the garage has two twin sockets at the rear of the gargage and two fluorescent tubes fitted by the builders, both circuits are radial
both sockets and the light switch for the flourescents have conduit on the drop section

this extra socket is also there but doesn't have a white conduit for the down cable and is taken off the power radial as a spur and is obviously done by an owner.

the pics show how this was done, and the socket on the wall with its down cable
this socket is near the garage door.

is this done properly or should i dismantle it..or do something to the set up make it safe if it is not so

we have been using it for the lawn mower and the vacuuming the car so i can imaging why it was put there and its quite handy.

at the back of the garage i have my clothes dryer plugged in to one of the twin outlets

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
It's a little untidy, you could maybe tidy the JB up a little bit, and perhaps clip the cable that's not in conduit flat to the wall, but there's nothing technically WRONG with it. The grey sheath for the extra socket needs to enter the JB too.

I have seen much worse DIY.

Your plug in RCD is pretty much redundant too, as you already have one in the garage consumer unit.

As Iggifer said.

Plus, that white JB is broken and needs replacing. At the same time you can tidy up the wiring. there should not be that much bare copper showing.

Also plus extra. Note that you have a 16A MCB for all of the sockets, with the dryer running that may not leave you with too much overhead if you were to use something else at the same time as the dryer. You could change the MCB to a 20A one if you have problems with tripping.

Sponsored Links
thanks to all....its the JB work which made me think it was an old one used

i will buy one more robust and tuck the grey insulation inside the perimeter
i suppose i could trim the copper so it doesnt stick out of the connector part
there is a top for the JB but the screw doesnt hold it very well

the mcb hadnt occurred to me..

and i really think conduit will look more professional...and a new box with a top outlet to match the ones at the back

thanks chaps for the advice

as i said its a handy twin socket at the door of the garage and i didnt want to lose it

cheers
geof

thanks to all....its the JB work which made me think it was an old one used

i will buy one more robust and tuck the grey insulation inside the perimeter
i suppose i could trim the copper so it doesnt stick out of the connector part
there is a top for the JB but the screw doesnt hold it very well

the mcb hadnt occurred to me..

and i really think conduit will look more professional...and a new box with a top outlet to match the ones at the back

thanks chaps for the advice

as i said its a handy twin socket at the door of the garage and i didnt want to lose it

cheers
geof

When you get a new junction box, BUY A 30 A 3 TERMINAL JUNCTION BOX.

The one you have there is only a 20 A, the terminals are small, and it's awkward getting 3 cables into it.

A 30 A one will be a much better job.

Depending of course on the size of the device supplying the garage CU.

To make it look neat, I would remove the socket, refit a PVC box in line with the light switch and fit a length of conduit up towards the roof.
Then run a new piece of cable to the JB.

In an ideal world, the JB could be removed altogether, but that would require rewiring.

In an ideal world, the JB could be removed altogether, but that would require rewiring.
Could just make it a 4th socket.

Seems the supply is 4mm so one would ASSUME it's a 32A OPD in the house, but 16a in the garage unit, so a 20A JB is fine, but I DETEST those junction boxes, there's just so many better options these days

Discrimination is always an issue. If a fault takes out the supply device, that leaves the garage in the dark.

Very true. I wasn't sure what point you were trying to make.

What's the betting it's also RCD protected in the house?

That was in reply about upping the garage radial breaker.
Ah.

Not immediately obvious, given 4 intervening posts in the 35 minutes between the one suggesting that, and your response...

A quote would have been a good idea.

If this is what happened:

1. 08:55 - #3 posted
  2. Either some time between then and 09:08, or even later if you didn't refresh, you started your reply
  3. 09:30 you clicked Post Reply and created #8
  4. The site gave you virtually no indication that posts 4-7 had been made - either it had no alert, and just showed your post immediately after TTCs, or it had a hard-to-notice message about there being other posts
then please complain. Add to this: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/posts-not-showing.439708/ if you like.

I think this new "feature" is awful.

OTOH, if you did notice, and just CBA to edit your post to insert a quote....
fish-head-smash-smiley-emoticon.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back