extra socket in garage

thanks to all....its the JB work which made me think it was an old one used

i will buy one more robust and tuck the grey insulation inside the perimeter
i suppose i could trim the copper so it doesnt stick out of the connector part
there is a top for the JB but the screw doesnt hold it very well

the mcb hadnt occurred to me..

and i really think conduit will look more professional...and a new box with a top outlet to match the ones at the back

thanks chaps for the advice

as i said its a handy twin socket at the door of the garage and i didnt want to lose it

cheers
geof

When you get a new junction box, BUY A 30 A 3 TERMINAL JUNCTION BOX.

The one you have there is only a 20 A, the terminals are small, and it's awkward getting 3 cables into it.

A 30 A one will be a much better job.

i thought this as well...the jb there looks like the ones i had in my bungalow for lighting...a bit flimsy and not enough "air" around the cables.

wa730.jpg

this one looks the business!! and a slot to hold the grey insulation
i will be doing a full makeover on this with 20mm conduit and a pallet box to suit

cheers

Sponsored Links
To make it look neat, I would remove the socket, refit a PVC box in line with the light switch and fit a length of conduit up towards the roof.
Then run a new piece of cable to the JB.

In an ideal world, the JB could be removed altogether, but that would require rewiring.

thanks this is what i have in mind to sort of smarten up the installation
cheers
geof

You mean a pattress box? Not pallet box? if so, make sure you get the kind with 20mm conduit knockouts, not the type designed for mini-trunking, as they're a pig to drill a 20mm hole in

Sponsored Links
You mean a pattress box? Not pallet box? if so, make sure you get the kind with 20mm conduit knockouts, not the type designed for mini-trunking, as they're a pig to drill a 20mm hole in

point and points taken...thanks
pattress it is...sort of difference between a master and a mattress..a mistress.:D
yes i see the 20 mm pvc in my local toolstation and the pattresses too...and wondered how you get the cable to go through...
there seems to be a collar on the ones in the garage at present with a little screw to hold the conduit
do they clip into the pattress
also...i expect i can use the front part of the box...the socket part straight off the old one...or do i need one to match the pvc pattress

cheers
geof

a point of interest...do i need to get a certificate for this work?

That was in reply about upping the garage radial breaker.
Ah.

Not immediately obvious, given 4 intervening posts in the 35 minutes between the one suggesting that, and your response...

A quote would have been a good idea.

If this is what happened:

1. 08:55 - #3 posted
  2. Either some time between then and 09:08, or even later if you didn't refresh, you started your reply
  3. 09:30 you clicked Post Reply and created #8
  4. The site gave you virtually no indication that posts 4-7 had been made - either it had no alert, and just showed your post immediately after TTCs, or it had a hard-to-notice message about there being other posts
then please complain. Add to this: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/posts-not-showing.439708/ if you like.

I think this new "feature" is awful.

OTOH, if you did notice, and just CBA to edit your post to insert a quote....
fish-head-smash-smiley-emoticon.gif

B-A-S
you still around old chap...

No, I don't think so. You are just refitting/ replacing what is already there.

Your pattress (from Toolstation) is a 53404.
You need a length of 20mm conduit. I saw it on the site but only multiple lengths.
You need a female adapter: 91534. This attaches your conduit to the pattress.
You will have to push out a knockout in the pattress first (visible in the picture).
You will also need a saddle to hold the conduit to the wall, or maybe 2 depending on how long your conduit drop is: 68088

If Screwfix is easier:

Conduit: 57073
Pattress: 89406
Female adapter (2): 70059
Saddle (2): 35862

No, I don't think so. You are just refitting/ replacing what is already there.

Your pattress (from Toolstation) is a 53404.
You need a length of 20mm conduit. I saw it on the site but only multiple lengths.
You need a female adapter: 91534. This attaches your conduit to the pattress.
You will have to push out a knockout in the pattress first (visible in the picture).
You will also need a saddle to hold the conduit to the wall, or maybe 2 depending on how long your conduit drop is: 68088

If Screwfix is easier:

Conduit: 57073
Pattress: 89406
Female adapter (2): 70059
Saddle (2): 35862

yes we have a screwfix here in penzance and one in bristol near my daughters which i seem to be at a lot
the 20mm conduit i need is around 1.5m...but a 3m is so cheap i will not notice the price..i saw it somewhere at that length...could be toolstation
hey...that screwfix part is 2m...even better
regarding the other parts
just what i needed a correct and accurate shopping list
adaptor
knock out pattress
saddles...there are 3 in the other droppers and i will set the pattress at the same height...
i am an engineer and have worked with architects so have a neurotic eye for things lining up

thanks again chaps...i am in the business now

cheers
geof

.i saw it somewhere at that length...could be toolstation
Toolstation do have single lengths of conduit, but inexplicably do not have it on their website or in the catalogue.
It's £1.24 for a 3m length of 20mm.

If they are out of that, will you have HAODDCK, or would you prefer RCOK?

I'm a big fan of SAKTE, but I shouldn't eat it as I've got MCS.

The Hager board is not level, according to the spirit bubble.
And the breakers don't match.

Am I OCD?:sneaky:

Those black ones are arranged in a very OCD way, but a real obsessive would have made sure they all matched!

BTW, I have found that the Hager bubbles are the only thing in the Hager range that I do not trust...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back