Farmers Fury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the single market beyond the wit of man to understand.
Am I right in thinking it's about countries trading with each other without restrictions or tariffs?
I'm glad to see the end of competition for jobs to keep wages down as a plus.
Is there a reason why you don't hold that view.?

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking it's about countries trading with each other without restrictions or tariffs?
No, because it's far more complex than that. The 4 pillars...

Or in other words, the union when we joined it vs the union when we left.

There seems to be an assumption that the country could carry on as before, and let the farmers pick up too many of the broken pieces.

There should be tactics and strategies from HMG to make things work better than before. Instead we've got, "see if you can manage", even after early assessments said "we won't be able to manage".

No, because it's far more complex than that. The 4 pillars...

Or in other words, the union when we joined it vs the union when we left.

There seems to be an assumption that the country could carry on as before, and let the farmers pick up too many of the broken pieces.

There should be tactics and strategies from HMG to make things work better than before. Instead we've got, "see if you can manage", even after early assessments said "we won't be able to manage".
BIB, from our government, you're kidding right? They couldn't do effective medium/longer term strategising if they tried.

Sponsored Links
The four pillars then if we're being pedantic.
Seeks to guarantee the free movement of goods, capital, services and people.
Brexiteers objected mainly to one of those four pillars...

And they now bleat on about getting the 'wrong type of brexit' when the loss/restricted access of the other three pillars was inevitable...

Ergo Brexiteers don't have a clue what they actually wanted, and can't tell us what they want now!

prices must be increased by sellers because an extra amount of money is seeking to purchase the same amount of available goods.

You are imagining a world in which there is no growth. In your imagination, the amount of grain, steel, houses and cars available today is the same as it was a thousand years ago.

You fantasy is so far removed from reality that there is no point in discussing it further.

Perhaps you should try to find some sensible sources of information.

The farmer grows cereal and over the years has a nice regular business, same amount of produce each year selling for the same price.

Then 1 year he (and the other farmers) suffer a bad yield and has less to sell but his costs stay the same. Does he put his price up ? If he does, everybody who buys that cereal, all the way down to the bread in the shop has to pay a bit extra.

There is the inflation. Government (for all their faults) were not involved
Doesn't the government gather tax on those crops; and upon the land on which it's grown: and the cost of the harvester; and wages to the people in the supply chain?
A bad year does lead to increased prices and farmers in Spain are passing on the bad news for fruit and veg in the UK, and Argentina had a disastrous year for growing soy bean which will affect all kinds of products in the shops this year.

Farmers can't put prices up when they're beholden to supermarket chains.
Fair point. And the bad harvests are nothing to do with Bre*it either - but the UK sure chose a pr!tty sh!tty time to leave the EU.

Farmers coined it in before Bre*it pi$$ed on their chips. The rest of that sentence makes no sense.

I'm glad farmers are doing well (though the reality is many work long hours for little reward). We'd be screwed without people who get up at dawn 7 days a week, 365 days a year in all winds and weathers, and spend their days growing our food that we need for survival. Who on here would want to do it?

Fair point. And the bad harvests are nothing to do with Bre*it either - but the UK sure chose a pr!tty sh!tty time to leave the EU.
The UK leaving the EU at any time was far more than sh!tty!

The farmers and supermarket CEO's (former and present) are saying that brexit has a big influence on the current shortages amongst a myriad of other problems...

It of course doesn't help that we have had 13 years of incompetent government, and an electorate happy to swallow their lies...

Nothing will change, except we'll have to learn to live with shortages of various crops/goods year round, along with ever increasing prices due to those shortages...

£108 p.a. doesn't seem such a bad deal to be part of the single market given the amount brexit is now costing everyone!

And net migration is rising...

Brexiteers made a huge mistake, and one we're all paying for. And not just financially!

I didn't know that Brexit actually caused the Ukrainian war, bad weather and forthcoming global economic collapse.

I must have forgotten just how perfect everything was between 1972-2016. I had a recollection there were many shortages and ****storms during this time, perhaps I'm mistaken.

Farmers have been squeezed by the supermarkets and high fuel prices, meanwhile the government has failed to act on what replaces eu subsidies. Hence, in part, the lack of fruit and veg on supermarket shelves. Taking back control effectively means leaving agriculture to the mercy of market forces.

Blup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back