Finding 2 & 3gang intermediate switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On planning the rewire of my house I'm struggling to find intermediate switches in 2 and 3gang formation - most wholesalers seem to only stock them singly.

Anyone got any tips on where else to look?

My only other alternative so far seems to be MK style grid switches, which I'm unsure will fit in a 25mm flush pattress - can someone confirm?

Sponsored Links
Last Q first - no.

Last Q 2nd - but then you'll struggle to get all the wires for a 2- or 3-gang intermediate switch into a 25mm box anyway.

Do you even know if 3-gang intermediate switches are available? Ref the wholesaler problems wouldn't the answer be to identify the products you want, find out what they cost online, and then order them from a wholesaler if he can better the price?

• Are you aware that rewiring a house is notifiable?

• For a circuit to supply a given load (doesn't matter what), how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?

• How do you calculate maximum demand and how can diversity be used?

• What are the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country, how would you recognise them, and what differences do each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies?

• Can you correctly identify all components and connections of a circuit by method of testing or otherwise? In doing so can you identify or recognise anything wrong or dangerous with the circuit?

• Do you understand how the way in which you install cables affects how much current they can carry?

• What are the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?

• What are the rules for cables run outdoors, buried in the ground or overhead?

• Where cables need to be joined, how should this be done / not be done and in what circumstances are different methods acceptable?

• Can you identify extraneous conductive parts, and do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of them?

• Which circuits should be RCD protected?

• How do you propose to isolate your supply so that you can connect up your new CU?

• Can you explain what tests you would carry out on the installation - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

Mr sheds,

thankyou for you swift response.

I've allowed for a double width pattress for the 3gang switches, however I'm reluctant to make the patresses any deeper as i don't want to chase too deep into the walls, they're only a single course of cinderblock. I'm hoping this width will allow enough space for wiring.

I'm well aware of the laws with regard to re-wiring a house, thankyou for reminding me. I'm employing a qualified electrician to do the work, however I still have an input into the design and features. I'm sure my electrician will tell me if what I want isn't possible, but he hasn't yet. Thus the rest of your post is irrelevant at this point.

My question remains, can you get 3gang intermediate switches?

Last Q first - no.

Last Q 2nd - but then you'll struggle to get all the wires for a 2- or 3-gang intermediate switch into a 25mm box anyway.

Do you even know if 3-gang intermediate switches are available? Ref the wholesaler problems wouldn't the answer be to identify the products you want, find out what they cost online, and then order them from a wholesaler if he can better the price?

• Are you aware that rewiring a house is notifiable?

• For a circuit to supply a given load (doesn't matter what), how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?

• How do you calculate maximum demand and how can diversity be used?

• What are the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country, how would you recognise them, and what differences do each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies?

• Can you correctly identify all components and connections of a circuit by method of testing or otherwise? In doing so can you identify or recognise anything wrong or dangerous with the circuit?

• Do you understand how the way in which you install cables affects how much current they can carry?

• What are the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?

• What are the rules for cables run outdoors, buried in the ground or overhead?

• Where cables need to be joined, how should this be done / not be done and in what circumstances are different methods acceptable?

• Can you identify extraneous conductive parts, and do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of them?

• Which circuits should be RCD protected?

• How do you propose to isolate your supply so that you can connect up your new CU?

• Can you explain what tests you would carry out on the installation - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping this width will allow enough space for wiring.
It's not you who'll be doing it though, so check with the guy who will be.

I'm employing a qualified electrician to do the work, however I still have an input into the design and features.
Of course you do.

I'm sure my electrician will tell me if what I want isn't possible, but he hasn't yet.
Have you asked him?

My question remains, can you get 3gang intermediate switches?
I don't know, but your electrician might. Have you looked yourself?

Have you or your electrician considered changing the order the switches are cabled in to make the 3-gang switch the first or last instead of an intermediate? It may cost a few metres of cable, but it could solve the problem of the accessories.

On planning the rewire of my house I'm struggling to find intermediate switches in 2 and 3gang formation - most wholesalers seem to only stock them singly.

Anyone got any tips on where else to look?

My only other alternative so far seems to be MK style grid switches, which I'm unsure will fit in a 25mm flush pattress - can someone confirm?

Take a look at a company called Scolmore and there minigrid range. its similair to grid but without the yolk, the switch modules screw straight into the faceplate so it looks a lot neater and will match everything else.

Have you or your electrician considered changing the order the switches are cabled in to make the 3-gang switch the first or last instead of an intermediate? It may cost a few metres of cable, but it could solve the problem of the accessories.

Good thinking Batman! :D

Take a look at a company called Scolmore and there minigrid range. its similair to grid but without the yolk, the switch modules screw straight into the faceplate so it looks a lot neater and will match everything else.

Thanks mate, that's the sort of response I was hoping for, rather than having my reasoning tested and 20 (irrelevant questions) by other forum users ;)

TicklyT - Nice idea, but unfortunately the switch & lighting arrangement I'm aiming for will require 3gang switches in 3 locations :D

I'm trying to re-create what I'd call 'hotel room' lighting, where both bedside lamps, and the main light are switchable from 3 positions - each side of the bed, and the door, hence 3gang switches, and one position has to be intermediate.

And for the record, you can fit MK grid-switches in 25mm pattresses, I found one and checked - the cage that carries the switch adds a few mm and the single pole switch I found leaves approx 15mm behind it.

If you get the Click Mode switches you can alter them around to suit.

get a 3 gang light switch and 3 x intermediate switches, remove the switch modules and put the intermediates in the 3 gang plate.

You'll probably need at least 35mm backboxes though (maybe even deeper?)

Going back to the OP......2 gang intermediates are available as a standard product but 3 gang will need to be in a grid.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back