fines for middle lane hogging

Sponsored Links
Btw I only drive at speed when it is safe to do so

Correction, when you think it's safe to do so.
So what happens when someone in the inside lane misjudges the excessive speed you are doing and pulls out just as you are overtaking them?

How does that differ to the person in the slow lane travelling at 50 that misjudged the middle lane road hogger travelling at 70? Or, what if that car travelling at excessive speed is an authorised vehicle (police car, organ donor transporter)

The fault is not with the person overtaking, but with the person that makes the manoeuvre without proper observations first.

Those who know they are losing a discussion resort to insults joe

It's not an insult mate. It's a fact. If you are going to preach to others about following the highway code then you have to follow ALL the rules - not just those you choose to follow. If I hog the middle lane at 70 mph - what's it to you? You'll never catch me up.

Sponsored Links

It's not an insult mate. It's a fact. If you are going to preach to others about following the highway code then you have to follow ALL the rules - not just those you choose to follow. If I hog the middle lane at 70 mph - what's it to you? You'll never catch me up.

I'm not preaching to anyone joe.

If I speed what's it to you? Exactly the same. Nada.

My point is that now we will be treated equally if we choose not to adhere to the rule of the road if caught by the boys in blue.

Check back, it's all there in my previous posts ;)

My point is that now we will be treated equally if we choose not to adhere to the rule of the road if caught by the boys in blue.

Well stop belly aching then. I'll do everyone a good turn and slow you down. You'll be booked for tailgating. There is an 'idiots' lane on the outside you know. What you are saying is that you'll hog the middle lane at an illegally high speed, and tailgate anyone that gets in your way. Worra plonka. Get off the road mate - you're a menace.

Have you ever driven on the continent sooey?

Yes I have, but that is irrelevant.

I think it's highly relevant for the reasons I gave and which you've conveniently cut out of your quote.

It's irrelevant because we have a 70 mph limit here, why don't you and others stick to it then there would be no argument. :rolleyes:

Problem is sooey that not all middle lane hoggers drive at 70. Surely you must have encountered the odd OAP on the M62 or M57 driving at 50mph in that same middle lane you love so much when there's no other traffic on the road.

They're causing a hazard to you if you try and pass at 70 and even more of a hazard to the trucks legally doing 56in the inside lane too. The actual speed limit involved is a mute point, what the German example shows is that good lane discipline improves safety.

Wrong, if you speed you're choosing to put other peoples lives in danger not just your own as has already been said. Simple as that.

Have you ever driven on the continent sooey?

Yes I have, but that is irrelevant.

I think it's highly relevant for the reasons I gave and which you've conveniently cut out of your quote.

It's irrelevant because we have a 70 mph limit here, why don't you and others stick to it then there would be no argument. :rolleyes:

Problem is sooey that not all middle lane hoggers drive at 70. Surely you must have encountered the odd OAP on the M62 or M57 driving at 50mph in that same middle lane you love so much when there's no other traffic on the road.

They're causing a hazard to you if you try and pass at 70 and even more of a hazard to the trucks legally doing 56in the inside lane too. The actual speed limit involved is a mute point, what the German example shows is that good lane discipline improves safety.

Yes and we all agree that they should be fined. However - if someone is at the speed limit then that's a different matter.

Well stop belly aching then. I'll do everyone a good turn and slow you down. You'll be booked for tailgating. There is an 'idiots' lane on the outside you know. What you are saying is that you'll hog the middle lane at an illegally high speed, and tailgate anyone that gets in your way. Worra plonka. Get off the road mate - you're a menace.

Awwww joe. You've lost this argument mate. I don't want to hog the middle lane at any speed. I want to drive in the left hand lane whenever it's clear as its safer to do so.

I don't want to tailgate anyone as that's much more dangerous than either speeding or middle lane hogging.

Check back to my first post I said it there : tailgating = bad

I've got no argument with that, but like I said at the beginning if some copper wants to fine me 100 squid for doing 70 in the middle lane he's going to have to take me to court. I think that the position of the authorities on this is untenable. They can't say on the one hand that 70mph is the speed limit and on the other hand fine people for blocking the road if they are doing 70 whatever lane they are in.

Andy: So if there are trucks and caravans in the left lane it is okay for me to stay in the middle lane at the speed limit? We are in agreement then eh? Do you ever use the outside lane?

Don't get hung up on speed guys.

When your car says you're doing 70 you could be doing 63 or 77 as the speedos only need to be accurate to within + or - 10% so theoretically you could both be serial slow coaches or serial speeders while thinking that your doing 70.

Driver awareness and ability and a well maintained vehicle are much more important than watching the speedo constantly to make sure your not exceeding a limit

Andy: So if there are trucks and caravans in the left lane it is okay for me to stay in the middle lane at the speed limit? We are in agreement then eh? Do you ever use the outside lane?

Yeah joe. You move into lane 2 or 3 to overtake slower moving vehicles and then move back into lane 1 when it is clear and safe to do so.

Sponsored Links
Back