Fire Rated Spots - Definitive answer anyone?

The onels that I have seen are open backed and look like any other IP downlight, although they have an additional fire gasket around the bezel of the frame!!

Sponsored Links
The home owner has just emailed me a copy of the report, which states -

4. Use of recessed light fittings in sloping or horizontal ceilings below roof voids (loft and kitchen roofs) is not accepted unless either: -

a. Fittings are of a type which have been tested and allow insulation to be fitted closely around the units

Or
b. Boxes are formed, or proprietary 'LoftCap' covers are used which allow insulation to be continuous around and above the fittings (not possible in this instance)

Lights should be altered or, works carried out, to ensure the number of light fittings used does not impair the integrity of insulation

** Jwhich suggests that fire spots would be the only option, fitted with Sylvania Coolfits. I personally don't know of any recessed fittings that are designed to allow insualtion to be fitted up to them? Seems to obviously be more about insualtion than fire retardant quality. [/b]

I don't know, but would a CFL downlighter be suitable to insulate right upto?

I recently wired a single storey kitchen extention, and the BCO would not allow any form of recessed spots due to them compromising the insulation in the void between the plasterboard ceiling and the roof tiles.

The customer and I settled on surface mounted fittings like these, which the BCO chappy was happy with too :)

p4534571_l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back