Fix/secure timber window boards to thermalite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found some recommendations for screwing ply to the top of the inner leaf (I think that some 100mm drywall screws would be fine without rawlplugs), and then gripfix the timber sill down to the ply?

What did you think of sticking the sill directly down to the thermalites using Caberfix or Sticks Like#

What is that lip that protrudes along the top/back of timber sills? What does it do?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Screw right angle metal ties to underside of sill and screw to wall , no adhesive required. Though if you have already boarded then foam adhesive sticks very well to block work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks F, Scrfx do something similar from Soudal and Dow. My local is about 400m away so I expect it will be one of these.

Any thoughts on that lip that protrudes along the top/back of some of the timber sills that I've seen? Would the board be cut this way to help prevent moisture from getting over the cavity?

No lip allows support from window frame but only where the window is designed for it, you can trim off but makes no difference to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back