Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I am trying to fit a tv to the wall and would very much appreciate some help. Upon getting a tv bracket and drilling into what i thought was a solid wall diving our living room and bedroom, the wall isnt a solid wall after all. I have 60mm of some material that is soft, plasteboard like - would not hold a plastic plug in place, no gap at all and then what appears to be red bricks behind. I have looked at wing toggles which wouldnt work as they couldnt open as there is no gap behind this 60mm of layer and the bricks. Have also looked at dot and dab toggles but they say that max distance is 45mm between wall and bricks. What is the material used for these 6cm, some sort of very thick plasterboard? What would be the best way around this and is it even possible to fit a tv on a wall like this? Sorry if the questions sound very silly to someone who knows about these things. I have uploaded a photo trying to show the wall material.

1D79C8DB-0DA1-4F54-9C22-362C147F6C07.jpeg

Sponsored Links
What is the material used for these 6cm, some sort of very thick plasterboard?

It sounds like you have insulation backed plasterboard...

uUZYrt9cpN5e3zQ6EXx74C-1024-80.jpg.webp

Are the walls pretty darn thick, i.e. when stood in a doorway?

Long fixings needed, as mentioned. Put them most the way in with a drill and do the last little bit by hand and don't go too tight.

Sponsored Links
Or, find the vertical timbers, and only fix to those. It might involve fixing a suitable piece of ply to span across two timbers, then fixing the bracket to the ply.

A strong magnet or metal detector can help find the fixings used to fix the plasterboard to the timbers.

Drilled around 4cm into the bricks and used the long frame fixing plugs with screws. Seems very sturdy. Thank you everyone for taking your time to help out, very much appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back