Food Miles

Reaction score
Country
France
Further to recent comments I've made, we were doing the regular monthly shopping yesterday.
We've changed our shopping habits since the pandemic to an approx monthly trip.
So I photographed a few labels to illustrate the typical origin of items in French supermarkets.

Attachments

• IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0810.JPG
    IMG_0810.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
Lovely country. Wasted on the French. They grow it themselves a lot more too. But then they have the space and the weather.

I enjoyed a nice bit of horse meat for my dinner yesterday.
My perception of the French is that they protect their environment more so than other nationalities.
Recycling is far higher than UK and stricter, garden produce is very much a matter of expectation, farmers are keen to adopt to modern standards, eco-building is more encouraged and strictly controlled, grants for eco-friendly schemes are plentiful and easily accessed.

Sponsored Links
What I was wondering was whether the eco schemes are funded (or part funded) by the EU.

What I was wondering was whether the eco schemes are funded (or part funded) by the EU.
Very much so, I believe. But different countries have different efficiencies in applying them.
France does well.
I suspect the requirements of the EU, for member states to meet the eco demands, was one of the 'unmentioned' drivers of Brexit.

France boosts eco renovation: How to benefit
The French government has increased funding to a scheme that could see homeowners reimbursed up to €20,000 on eco-friendly renovations. We explain what it is, who is eligible, and how to get it.

4 September 2020
By Thomas Brent
This week, the government announced details of its €100 billion economic recovery plan – known as France Relance, which is aimed at helping the country recover from the effects of the coronavirus crisis.

As part of that budget there is to be a €2 billion financial boost for the MaPrimeRénov scheme. In addition, the funding will be made available to everyone in France, regardless of their income, from January 1, 2021.
https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-boosts-eco-renovation-How-to-benefit

Last edited:
Could those "demands" be rebranded as attempts to reduce fuel usage in order to lessen our impact on the planet?

Further to recent comments I've made, we were doing the regular monthly shopping yesterday.
We've changed our shopping habits since the pandemic to an approx monthly trip.
So I photographed a few labels to illustrate the typical origin of items in French supermarkets.

Thanks for that -very interesting

when I last visited Brittany -I was amazed that most towns had a market, which had plenty of vegetable, fruit, meat and cheese stalls -and the locals came out in big numbers to buy stuff

totally different to UK where we just "do Tescos"

Thanks for that -very interesting

when I last visited Brittany -I was amazed that most towns had a market, which had plenty of vegetable, fruit, meat and cheese stalls -and the locals came out in big numbers to buy stuff

totally different to UK where we just "do Tescos"
Been to the local market this morning, bought a replacement chicken 'cos a stray dog killed one of ours last week.
Along with some chilli plants for the garden, and some fresh crabs direct from the boats.
I was looking for some truffles but none available.

Sponsored Links
Back