For All Those Who Claim We are Leaving The EU, A Spanner In The Works

Sponsored Links
Parliament put UK into the EU with an Act of Parliament: the European Communities Act 1972.

UK is a sovereign nation and Parliament is supreme, so, to leave, Parliament has to repeal the European Communities Act 1972.

Nobody else can do it. Not the PM, not the Queen, not voters in a referendum, not even Rupert Murdoch.

It's time for this politician to volunteer their services, whoever he or she may be.

so, to leave, Parliament has to repeal the European Communities Act 1972.

Who told you that? Would it matter if we invoke the leaving clause with the EU and they just happen to kick us out anyway in two years time?

we invoke the leaving clause

Who is this "we" you mention that has the right to overrule Acts of Parliament? Which in the UK is supreme?

Please also examine Article 50. Paragraph 1.

Sponsored Links
If you are a parent, and your child is unhappy, you ask him why is he unhappy, and he answers he is unhappy because all his mates have nice toys and gadgets, but he hasn't, so his dad promises his child he will take him to a big toy shop and promise to buy him a toy he likes.
So one day as promised, dad takes his son to a big toy shop, and the boy picks on a nice big toy lamborghini battery driven, costing well over a grand, his dad looks at him and says Son, I know I promised you i will get you a nice toy, but I am very sorry son, that lamborghini is too expensive and if I bought it for you we will not have any money left to buy food and mortgage, so please let us get you something else for now under hundred quid and in the next year or two when we have saved enough money we will get a lambo.

So guys start saving your money, you may well have to wait a year or two until you have saved enough money to Brexit. No money no lambo!

Last edited:
we invoke the leaving clause

Who is this "we" you mention that has the right to overrule Acts of Parliament? Which in the UK is supreme?

Please also examine Article 50. Paragraph 1.

You're not a politician. Just answer the question if you can.
For Woody, the first paragraph in Article 50 is:
"1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements."
That means that our PM is not a dictator and only has authority by Parliamentary support, i.e. a majority of MPs.

The PM can declare that every UK citizen should receive a Summer Clothing Allowance of £200, but it needs to be ratified by Parliament, otherwise it's a non-starter. Obviously, if the PM was about to make such an announcement, if he was a sensible PM and about to make such a momentous decision, he would seek Parliamentary support prior to the announcement. This could be achieved via furtive conversations to ensure that he would have a majority support if/when the motion is voted on.

if he was a sensible PM and about to make such a momentous decision, he would seek Parliamentary support prior to the announcement. This could be achieved via furtive conversations to ensure that he would have a majority support if/when the motion is voted on.

Being ensconced in his Westminster bubble, Cameron was so out-of-touch that he completely mis-read the public mood. Yes, Parliament is sovereign, but what happens when a majority of the public want 'out', but the majority of MPs want 'in'?
As they say: we live in interesting times.

Yes, Parliament is sovereign, but what happens when a majority of the public want 'out', but the majority of MPs want 'in'?
It's actually quite simplistic.
Each MP decides whether he/she is a representative of their constituency, including those who may not have voted, or they are purely a reflection of their voting electorate. Then they decide which way to vote accordingly.
Those MPs who represent constituencies where the voting was overwhelmingly in favour of Brexit may decide to vote for invocation of Article 50. Whereas, where there was only a slim majority for Brexit, the MPs may decide that some of the electorate didn't vote, for whatever reason, and vote for Remain.
Or they may decide that, as their MP, they're in a position to know better, and still vote for Remain.

I know that. Tell John D it to help with his reply.

But despite all the might be's and could do's, do you seriously think that parliament, MPs, the government or anybody is going to go against the will of the majority voters? Seriously.

I know that. Tell John D it to help with his reply.
Perhaps he assumed you could fathom it for yourself.

But despite all the might be's and could do's, do you seriously think that parliament, MPs, the government or anybody is going to go against the will of the majority voters? Seriously.
It might be the will of the people, as of last Thursday. Don't forget the generation gap. Being rather coarse, how many older Brexit voters will be around to vote in the next GE?
All of the young Remainers will be around to vote, with more young, and perhaps, more eager Remain young voters coming on stream all the time.
Then there's the difficulties of Brexit for real, which are mounting all the time. Only now are people waking up to the, perhaps, insurmountable difficulties.
I make no mention of the forgotten/ignored promises which are becoming more obvious each day.

It's a long game. I'm sure MPs are aware of these factors.

Sponsored Links
Back