Foreigners and the NHS

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"The number of EU nationals registering as nurses in England has dropped by 92% since the Brexit referendum in June, and a record number are quitting the NHS, it can be revealed.

The shock figures have prompted warnings that Theresa May’s failure to offer assurances to foreigners living in the UK is exacerbating a staffing crisis in the health service.

Only 96 nurses joined the NHS from other European nations in December 2016 – a drop from 1,304 in July, the month after the referendum..."

"...2,700 EU nurses left the health service in 2016, compared to 1,600 EU nurses in 2014"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/18/nhs-eu-nurses-quit-record-numbers

Sponsored Links
.gif

However did we cope before The EU?

Don't get yourself all worked up Johnny. I understand you're more than likely of an age where you are, or soon will be, heavily dependent on healthcare services. And all this worry won't help your blood pressure.

I'm sure that when the madness of The EU abates, where countless millions of people from poorer EU countries (some useful to us, many just criminal tinkers) flood into richer EU countries like ours, we will be able to choose people with the right skills and qualifications. People we actually need. Better for them, and better for this country.

And of course, The Guardian is totally unbiased. I credit your using it as a source about as much as the disdain I would receive for quoting The Mail.

Time for your Horlicks and a nice early night.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Of course there are. Must be dozens of suitable qualified nurses, fluent in English, in Somalia and Uzbekistan. I always found it strange that Quitters thought that resigning from the EU would put a stop to immigration. I dare say Woodbine's carers mostly come from Africa and the Philippines.

No doubt that's why farmers are not complaining that it's difficult to get seasonal workers since the Brexit vote and the rise of anti-foreigner attacks.

Oops, my mistake, they are.
https://www.ft.com/content/a95ecb20-bd66-11e6-8b45-b8b81dd5d080

http://www.fwi.co.uk/news/nfu-issues-warning-potential-labour-shortage.htm

Naw Woody, that would ruin his argument, and we wouldn't want to do that would we.

Immigration from the EU won't fall for about 6 or 7 years, and even then not much, and David Davis has only just admitted that, so why is everyone worrying. The current batch won't get shipped back, even if the Eu threatens to ship Brits back, but May can't give any assurances yet until the EU does. It's just negotiating strategy, so why is everyone worrying about it. The Lords should have been ahsamed of themselves for trying to get the amendement through. There's just too many bleeding heart liberals out there for my my peace of mind.

What Johns opening post demonstrates, is not that there's a crisis because EU nurses are going home, but that we aren't training enough nurses ourselves not to need foregin nurses to fill the shortfall.

The current batch won't get shipped back,

If only you had the brains to read my post, you will see that the skilled and qualified people we need are leaving already. Even though not many foreign workers have been murdered yet, the increase in attacks, and the anti-foreigner abuse by the quitters and the government, is not encouraging them to stay.

If you borrow a calculator, you can work out that the number of new EU nurses coming to UK in the month of December was 92% less than in June. And the number leaving has greatly increased.

How sweet to hear you bravely claiming that everything will work out all right in the end.

poor old dog unable to form a coherent statement falls back on abuse.

as per woodbines post, we probably coped pre EU by being able to produce enough home grown nurses to meet demand not to mention demand on the NHS then was less. I think its fair to say that workers from the EU contribute a hell of alot to our economy. If they are now leaving en masse then thats a problem or a potential problem....

Sponsored Links
Back