Forum Attitude to Non-Notification

Sorry,

In no way is wiring unqualified akin to drunk driving.
It's not a good analogy.

I was trying, really, to show that there are some scenarios where, if people really do refuse to see reason you should do nothing except walk away and leave them to it, and you should not say "Oh, OK then, if you must insist on driving when you are drunk we'd better help you to do that better."

If it wasn't for an mp's daughter dying, part p wouldn't even exist.
Not so.

Sponsored Links
But this is pointless. Where you see pragmatism and realism I see moral bankruptcy and irresponsibility, and that is never going to change.
I agree. Our views, which have both been clearly stated, differ - and presumably always will. That's fine, and the ability to have differing views is one of the most precious 'rights' we thankfully enjoy.

As far as my 'pragmatism and realism' is concerned, all that matters to me is my judgement, made on a case-by-case basis, as to which of the options available to me is most likley to stand some chance of reducing the risk of the individual's actions resulting in damage or injury - an approach which, needless to say, I would not personally regard as 'moral bankcruptcy and irresponsibility', even if you do.

Kind Regards, John

my judgement, made on a case-by-case basis, as to which of the options available to me is most likley to stand some chance of reducing the risk of the individual's actions resulting in damage or injury

I would see that as the more sensible attitude.
Adopting a "one size fits all" view, whilst working fine can in itself be unsafe and lead to other issues

my judgement, made on a case-by-case basis, as to which of the options available to me is most likley to stand some chance of reducing the risk of the individual's actions resulting in damage or injury
I would see that as the more sensible attitude.
Needless to say, so do I ... so I take it that you do not regard such an approach as being 'moral bankcruptcy and irresponsibility'"? :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I was trying, really, to show that there are some scenarios where, if people really do refuse to see reason you should do nothing except walk away and leave them to it, and you should not say "Oh, OK then, if you must insist on driving when you are drunk we'd better help you to do that better."
I suppose it comes down to how an individual's mind works. I personally might find it hard to sleep at night if I 'walked away', knowing that there were things I could have said or done which might possibly have reduced the risk of damage, injury or death resulting. Your mind presumably works the opposite way around.

In other situations, like the medical analogy I presented, there may well be a duty of care (or even just professional standards) which effectively eliminates the 'walk away' option. In general, a doctor cannot refuse to advise/treat 'the best that they can, under the circumstances', no matter how crazy a patient may be in refusing to heed primary advice.

Kind Regards, John

I personally might find it hard to sleep at night if I 'walked away', knowing that there were things I could have said or done which might possibly have reduced the risk of damage, injury or death resulting.
That seems a sensible approach to me - and I don't recommend ever being in a position to wonder "what if I'd ..., would that bloke still be alive ?"

Back on page 2 I think there was a suggestion that no-one should ever do any work if they cannot (for example) do the detailed calculations to determine what size of cable must be used. I find myself wondering how many electricians (especially "5 day Part P" ones) can actually do this - and I mean genuinely do it rather than work from tables that give them the sizes to use for common situations ? And if using such tables counts as determining the size, then why is asking someone else about a specific situation different from looking it up on a table ?

I personally might find it hard to sleep at night if I 'walked away', knowing that there were things I could have said or done which might possibly have reduced the risk of damage, injury or death resulting.
That seems a sensible approach to me - and I don't recommend ever being in a position to wonder "what if I'd ..., would that bloke still be alive ?"
Quite so. In a 'previous life', and in a totally unrelated field, I spent a good few years necessarily having to think things like that nearly every night - and, as you say, it's certainly not to be recommended, if it can be avoided.
Back on page 2 I think there was a suggestion that no-one should ever do any work if they cannot (for example) do the detailed calculations to determine what size of cable must be used. I find myself wondering how many electricians (especially "5 day Part P" ones) can actually do this - and I mean genuinely do it rather than work from tables that give them the sizes to use for common situations ? And if using such tables counts as determining the size, then why is asking someone else about a specific situation different from looking it up on a table ?
Exactly. As I said, most of the Building Regs have always recognised this, by having countless tables of 'deemed-to-satisfy' figures for those unable or uninclined to do the calculations for themselves.

The most controversial issue probably relates to testing. It can be argued, as some here do, that virtually any electrical work requires testing which is beyond the capabilities and/or facilities of the vast majority of people who do electrical DIY work and ask questions here, particularly the more minor jobs (e.g. replacing sockets or switches). If one takes the view that testing (as in measurements) is required, and also BAS's view that they should not be 'encouraged' (by receiving answers to questions) to undertake work unless they are capable of the design, competent at the execution and able to 'fully test', then I think the forum probably might as well close!

Kind Regards, John.

For some DIYers ban all shed's attitude is the correct way to deal with them. For other DIYers John's method is the better way.

In real life face to face conversation with an advice seeker one can fairly accurately sum up the DIYer and deal with them in the best way based on how the DIYer reacts. Some can be safely given advice how to do the work, others need to be told not to do the work but instead get a professional. As it is face to face often one ends up working with the DIYer to get the job done.

On any forum the lack of face to face conversation means those giving advice have no idea ( no accurate idea ) of the DIYer's true ability and motivation to do the work properly.

If the forum convinces one DIYer that he or she is out of his or her depth and as a result a professional is employed then it will have served one of it purposes in preventing a possibly dangerous situation being created by an DIYer lacking the necessary skills.

For some DIYers ban all shed's attitude is the correct way to deal with them. For other DIYers John's method is the better way.
In fact, BAS and I only differ on one major issue. As I wrote:
...it will sometimes become clear that an individual is never going to acquire the knowledge/competence to do a job satisfactorily/safely, and therefore must be advised not to attempt it.
... which I presume BAS (and the rest of us) would agree with. Our only difference relates to what one should do if, despite being advised as strongly as we can against it, someone is clearly going to go ahead with the work despite their deficiencies. In that situation, BAS wants to 'walk away', whilst I would be more inclined to do anything I could by way of 'damage limitation', given the inevitability of the situation - i.e. a risk-assessed 'lesser of evils'.

As I wrote last night, another issue with BAS's view is that, by insisting that people should have the knowledge and equipment to 'properly test' any circuits they work on, he is effectively saying that the vast majority of DIY electrical work (particularly minor jobs) should not be done, even when people are adequately knowledgable, competent and equipped in all respects other than in relation to testing. I can understand that view but question how realistic it is.

Kind Regards, John

As a follow on from that, what would most electrician do (testing wise) if asked to (for example) just change a cracked socket.

At one extreme, you do no testing other than visually inspecting the cables you can see to observed that they don't appear to be damaged etc.
At the other extreme, you argue that as you've worked on the circuit, you must do full testing and bring it up to current standards.

As a follow on from that, what would most electrician do (testing wise) if asked to (for example) just change a cracked socket. At one extreme, you do no testing other than visually inspecting the cables you can see to observed that they don't appear to be damaged etc. At the other extreme, you argue that as you've worked on the circuit, you must do full testing and bring it up to current standards.
We had that discussion recently and, as you probably surmise, we saw answers at both of those extremes - with, I think it would probably be fair to say, a tendency towards the latter - hence the comment in my last post (since, despite what BAS might like to think, no DIYer is going to acquire knowledge and kit to test just so that they can replace a socket).

Kind Regards, John

As a follow on from that, what would most electrician do (testing wise) if asked to (for example) just change a cracked socket.
I would/do, at a minimum, do a continuity test of conductors while the socket is disconnected to verify comparative readings, polarity and the integrity of the ring (doesn't take a minute) and a loop test when the new socket is connected plus the RCD could also be tested.
Inform the customer if anything is suspect.

I can't see why you would not and it may lead to further work.

At the other extreme, you argue that as you've worked on the circuit, you must do full testing and bring it up to current standards.
It is not feasible to do the full range of testing but the above ensures it is not actually dangerous.

I would/do, at a minimum, do a continuity test of conductors while the socket is disconnected to verify comparative readings, polarity and the integrity of the ring (doesn't take a minute) and a loop test when the new socket is connected plus the RCD could also be tested. ... It is not feasible to do the full range of testing but the above ensures it is not actually dangerous.
That 'minimum' doesn't really leave all that much which would be done as a "full range of testing" of the circuit concerned. If you regard that as a minimum, do you therefore subscribe to the view that a person should not replace a cracked socket if (like, I imagine, 99%+ of DIYers), they don't have the ability to do a loop test, and maybe some of the other tests you mention?

Kind Regards, John.

That 'minimum' doesn't really leave all that much which would be done as a "full range of testing" of the circuit concerned.
True, but the customer may not want the disruption (switching off and on five times) of an RCD test.
Do you not think ensuring the ring is intact is a duty of the electrician while replacing a socket?

If you regard that as a minimum, do you therefore subscribe to the view that a person should not replace a cracked socket if
I suppose, strictly speaking, I do.
Is that the point of part P? Work cannot be ensured safe without testing therefore work without testing is illegal.

Don't get me wrong, I am, in no way, for the Nanny State. I am just stating how it is.
You have also said you are not for the Nanny State but you actually seem to care about people injuring themselves by their own ignorance.

Having the correct tools to do the job properly is fundamental .
Because electrical work can be done with my proverbial screwdriver and pair of scissors the problem arises.

A 'competent' DIY person could do work on their gas pipes but I am sure they would not finish without checking for a leak.
However the proper tools would be needed, ie. torch and solder (and Fairy liquid) etc.

(like, I imagine, 99%+ of DIYers), they don't have the ability to do a loop test, and maybe some of the other tests you mention?
For the householder, that is up to them, (whether they should receive help is the point of the thread) but an electrician does have the ability and, as I asked, why would he not?

If my stated tests are considered excessive then the situation seems to be that they are not needed or actually should not be done.

If you regard that as a minimum, do you therefore subscribe to the view that a person should not replace a cracked socket if (like, I imagine, 99%+ of DIYers), they don't have the ability to do a loop test, and maybe some of the other tests you mention
I suppose, strictly speaking, I do. Is that the point of part P? Work cannot be ensured safe without testing therefore work without testing is illegal. ... Do you not think ensuring the ring is intact is a duty of the electrician while replacing a socket? ... If my stated tests are considered excessive then the situation seems to be that they are not needed or actually should not be done.
This is where the discussion gets difficult, since Part P requires the same reqardless of who undertakes the work, so it would be iffy to suggest that there should be different 'standards' (in context, requirements for testing) for electricians and DIYers. However, that leaves (at least for DIYers, and this forum) a bit of a problem. As you imply, either those tests are 'unnecessary' (probably hard to argue), in which case even electricians should not undertake (or be required to undertake) them OR they are necessary (easy to argue), in which case virtually all DIY electrical work becomes illegal (since virtually no 'ordinary DIyers' have the adequate testing facilities/ability) and, if you take BAS's position, people should not be 'encouraged' (by having their questions answered) to undertatake work if they can't do the tests properly.

[ Lest there be any argument about what proportion of DIYers do have adequate testing facilities/ability, I would suggest that anyone who does have the kit to measure, say, loop impedance (and knows how to use it and interpret the results) will not be asking questions about how to replace a socket (or whatever). So, either way, I think one can rest assured that the majority of people who ask fairly 'simple' questions are not going to have the ability to undertake those tests.]

So, what is your position amidst all that? Do you think it appropriate for you to answer a question about replacing a socket given the very high probability that 'adequate' testing would not be undertaken if the questionner (aided by your answer) undertook the work? On the face of it, you're at risk of talking youself into a corner in which nearly all DIY work would be illegal and answering virtually any questions in DIY forums such as this would be 'inappropriate' - yet you obviously have decided that it is appropriate for you to (voluntarily) participate in the forum.

[Don't get me wrong, I am, in no way, for the Nanny State. I am just stating how it is. ... You have also said you are not for the Nanny State but you actually seem to care about people injuring themselves by their own ignorance.
As you say, I'm no fan of the Nanny State at all, but I don't quite understand your comment. I don't approve of the State going too far in "protecting sane adults from themselves (or their 'ignorance')" - by regulations, laws, 'prohibitions' etc. Rather, I think people should take more responsibility for themselves. That includes efforts to educate themselves out of that ignorance. One part of that is by asking questions of people more knowledgable - and I'm personally inclined to help them with answers if I feel this that might help them to avoid injury etc. (even if I think they are, in general,acting illegally). I suppose one of my reasons for starting this thread was to discover whether 'the forum' had that same view (whether you call it 'helpfulness', 'compassion', 'moral responsibility' or whatever). That's almost the antithesis of 'Nanny State' - and such 'helping one another' actually becomes increasingly important when there is less 'State Nannying'!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back