Forum Search

DIYnot

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to hear any constructive thoughts / suggestions about the forum search.

We are currently overhauling the search process and as many of you have been vocal about the quality of both the old and current searches, this is your opportunity to feedback your thoughts.

Some questions to get you started:

1. Do you prefer the search results presented as individual posts / topics / both (i.e. choice of either for each search)?

2. Would you prefer your search to be performed on posts / topics / both (i.e. choice of either for each search)?

3. Results wise, from a presentational angle - do you prefer the old search layout or the current search results layout?

Any (constructive) thoughts/comments welcome :)

Sponsored Links
Answers to questions
1. Choice
2. Choice
3. Don't Remember the old one

Other comments

definitely keep the ability to search individual forums

The results are not returned in chronological order; can a "sort by date" option be added?

i'd like if you could search in topic title, or in topic replies.... sometimes the same topic will come up 8 times with the same words in

Sponsored Links
ban all sheds not contributing to this? He's been pretty vocal about the search facility.

1. Choice
2. Choice
3. Preferred the old, but what matters is what search terms can be used, and how good the results are rather than the formatting of them, but it would be nice to see more of each match.

One thing that I consider absolutely essential in a search engine is for it to do exactly what I say - no second guessing, no automatic anythings.

So if I put something in quotes or tell the engine it's a phrase, I don't want any characters ignored. (I recall the old one was awful at that - e.g. trying to search for "part p" didn't work)

I'd like to see support for boolean expressions, not just a choice of any words/all words - if I know that I want to see results that match an expression, e.g. [(niceic OR napit OR eca) AND (bs7671 OR "bs 7671") AND NOT "part p"] then I want the search engine to go and do it.

Limiting the searches to author, forum and date ranges is very useful, and I agree with the sort-by-date idea.

Wildcards in search operands, e.g. notif* rather than having to ask for (notified OR notifiable OR notifying.....

Refining searches, i.e. searching for something else within the set of results.

And an up-to-date index - probably the biggest single thing wrong with the current search is that it is seriously out of date, e.g. I just checked, and it's telling me this:

Your search - ((notifiable) forum_id:8 limit:3) author:"ban-all-sheds" - did not match any documents.

I know that I have used the word "notifiable" in the last 3 months!

The only thing I would like to change on the PLUMBING forum is to seperate BOILERS and related topics from GENERAL plumbing.
Thanks

ENtirely agree with Ban-A-S on this.
It's really annoying when you can't find recent posts!

Also - would it be possible to search within FAQ's, as an option?

Thank you all for you constructive comments & feedback, they are very useful and we will take them into consideration in the next version of the search.

Many thanks :D

A search-for-a-phrase facility is essential.

I have criticised the fact that the current search engine does not make any distinction between a search for "condensing boiler" and (condensing AND boiler). The first is a search for a string; the second, a search for two words, which may not have to be adjacent.

I can see the problem in that the word search can be done using indexes; but the string search can only be done on the full text. But it would be very useful.

I have never done a check but, presumably a search is carried out on a post-by-post basis; i.e. if I search for (combi AND boiler) both words have to appear in a post to score a hit.

In general, I think that the search only needs to return the first post in a topic which meets the search criteria. The enquirer can read the rest of the topic if he needs more info ;)

As for title search, looking at some of the titles makes me wonder if it would be any help; e.g. "Heating problem"; "Central heating"; "Fixed one issue, got another".

The search facility is still firmly in the "chocolate teapot" or "Kleenex condom" category.

I wanted to find this topic: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127965

I remembered what it was called, so I searched for the phrase "all like pictures" in posts made by me.

Nothing.

Googling the site worked though, so I found the topic, and then just in case the search tool doesn't look at titles (the old one used to!!!!), I picked a phrase from the body - "Installing some outside lights" and searched for that.

Nothing.

What is the point of the search facility? It's ******* useless.

In general, I think that the search only needs to return the first post in a topic which meets the search criteria. The enquirer can read the rest of the topic if he needs more info ;)
Like the old search tool used to, you mean?

You'll be pleased to hear ( :confused: ) that the new version I mentioned above is almost ready to go live, it is in the final stages of testing. I have taken into account much of what has been said and hopefully you all will find it more useful.

Sponsored Links
Back