Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I moved all my services under the stair, I thought would be good to closed it down and have access with double door opening. This will allow to push is the washing machine as well and have access for boiler and cylinder maintenance.

My idea is to frame off and board on both side having it flush with the stair string.

I was thinking to use some 38x63mm studwall for the frame but not sure if there is any door available or these would be bespoke. ( Cheap option would be ideally)

The 2 doors will need to be cut at the same stair angle to maximise height.

Because I don not have experience on it. Would some of you give me some tips on how to start and what I will need to buy.

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Foxhole but I`m not looking for idea but looking for advise on how to do it?

To cut long story short I`m planning to frame it and plastrboard as inside I have all the services. I saw someone on google cutting doors at angle and I could do it.

Would a small frame still be strong enough like the 38x63 as this would save me some room inside instead of using the 4x2?
Can't provide instructions for an idea in your head, you have to share your design before anyone can advise how to create it.

Sponsored Links
Can't provide instructions for an idea in your head, you have to share your design before anyone can advise how to create it.

You are perfectly right.

Will share plan and elevation.

You can make a frame up from 63 x 38, but it will.suffer from a lack.of rigidity. Suggest that if you go that way you screw the frames together, skin both sides with board and heavily noggin out the studs - which really need to.be on 400mm/16in centres. Also double up the uprights around the door opening. Doors will need to be stiff but light meaning that something like 18mm blockboard with a hardwood lipping might be the way to go. Also look at ventilation as heat and moisture can and will cause doors to warp

just be aware if your doors are set back from the face by say 50mm and your doors have say 50mm above the door' the door hinged on the small edge will ground on the top edge perhaps at 90%as it slopes up and hits under the stairs

Depending on size/space available chat to your plumber/ gas guy as you could make the panel removable so access was better for servicing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back