Fuel poverty on the rise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has been said that up to 25 per cent of the population will suffering from fuel poverty this winter, almost double what it was a few years ago.

With the energy companies enjoying record profits of almost £3 billion isn't the old excuse that rising prices are beyond their control wearing a bit thin?Is it not about time the government stepped in and hit them with a windfall tax.

Sponsored Links
I agree but at a time when the industry is looking for long term foreign investment to build the next generation of powerstations I can't see it happening.

Yes, which will then be passed straight on to the consumer in the manner of higher charges.

Nah, it would end up making the worst off even worse off!

I'm a believer in the free market, but even I feel that any industry that is vital to a country's well-being should be nationalised.

Energy supply is one of those industries.

i read somewhere that profits from residential gas sales amount to £10.50 per customer per year. no hill 'o' beans.

the bulk of their profits came from wholesale gas sales and other investments.

these companies aren't in a position either, to cross subsidise more lucrative parts of the business with less profitable parts.

the g'ment could hammer the companies with tax burdens and send them merrily overseas shifting all that glorious tax with them.

i wouldn't want to be a politician at any price.

Sponsored Links
Yes, which will then be passed straight on to the consumer in the manner of higher charges.

I'm a believer in the free market, but even I feel that any industry that is vital to a country's well-being should be nationalised.

I agree but it would cost the taxpayer many billions to nationalise and where would that money come from at a time of economic downturn?

Isn't the UK energy market already one of the most deregulated in Europe. As you say the free market works well with most things, but some things are essential to peoples survival energy is one of those.

I agree but it would cost the taxpayer many billions to nationalise and where would that money come from at a time of economic downturn?
This is a threat to our way of life Brown shouold threaten to
Seize the companies back from the european tyrants without compensation. stop the £1 million pay rise to BG chairman..

Well the saudis did :LOL:

That would be a problem! Although, Gordon Brown has frequently claimed he's some sort of economic whizz, perhaps he should put his money where his mouth is? :LOL:

In theory, all he needs to do is create an economic situation where the energy industry becomes a financial liability with little return and high risk. Then make an offer to take it off their hands "to keep the country running".

As Competent points out, most of our energy suppliers are overseas companies now, so it's not like it would cause any problems here (the UK employees could be reemployed in the new nationalised energy company).

Of course, measures would have to be taken to avoid the situations we've had with nationalised industries before. :!:

Look what happened in Russia when their gas and oil was privatised a few individuals made billions while the poor froze to death.
The Russian people having had their fingers burnt by the oligarchs have decided that they prefer cheap gas and bread to democracy.

Sponsored Links
Back