Gall stones

My uncle and his father have both been diagnosed with rectal cancer ( no not a joke.. )
My uncle had it surgically removed and several feet of large intestine as well, they didn't have enough to connect it all back up so now he has a colostomy bag and a sewn up bum hole...
His father isn't as fortunate, they can't get all of his surgically so he's terminal... gave him 6 months about a year ago and he's still fairly ok..
poor sod. Either of those outcomes doesn't sound very good to me. I'm guessing they all say you should live life to the full while you can and are able to.

Sponsored Links
I live by the saying;
Don't put off till tomorrow what you WANT To DO today.
Tomorrow may never come.

And I'm not just talking about disease and illness. No one knows when they get into their car if they will be getting back out of it.
Be safe but have a fun life, somebody somewhere will always miss you if you go.

I am on clinical trials at Christies cancer research hospital in Manchester, things seem to be under control and the op that I am having is to reduce the swollen prostate gland to reduce the pressure on my urethra which is the pipe leading to the outside.

Best of luck malcolmx with the op. If you have to be anywhere Christies is the place to be.

Just spoken to other half, she is going down for more endosopy and more sugery and they believe there might be a tear somewhere

This was supposed to be day surgery and out same day now going for 2nd operation and still in after 4 days :confused: :cry:

Hope she's feeling better obmcfc and they've found the problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks hotrod - spoken to her this morning and she says she had a better night - consultant says there may have damage to the liver during the operation and yesterday was only exploratory - she is booked for an endoscopy on Thursday

I have been watching this post all the time - I am so sorry that it has gone wrong for your wife. The first and most important thing is that she recovers well. But afterwards you must ask questions and not be fobbed off. It sounds as if there was some 'carelessness' here. I had a laparascopic removal of my gallbladder a decade ago and was 'done' on Monday lunchtime and was trotting around the ward waiting to be collected at 8 am on the Tuesday.

My fervent thoughts are with you and your dear partner.

Thanks Francine - think that is part of why she is so upset - she had her operation on Friday and still in bed with a drip and drain in - people had theirs done today and gone home

She was a lot brighter tonight which is good.

She actually works as a medical secretary in the Trust in which the operation was carried out and I worked there for 5 years in the IT dept so we know a lot of the managers/patient liasion staff and will want a full explanation when the time is ready.

Thanks hotrod - spoken to her this morning and she says she had a better night - consultant says there may have damage to the liver during the operation and yesterday was only exploratory - she is booked for an endoscopy on Thursday

Liver damage is a good prognosis. Out of all the organs the liver regenerates the fastest. You can cut something like a third of your liver off and make a full recovery.

joe-90 said:
Out of all the organs the liver regenerates the fastest.

The liver is the only organ that regenerates in the true sense of the word. You can keep removing bits of liver until you've taken out more than the original mass. It just keeps on growing back. :eek: :eek: :eek:

The biggest problem with liver surgery is bleeding. It's like a big blood filter so you can imagine what happens when you cut into it - but it can be done. :) :) :)

you can donate half your liver to someone and each of you will grow back to a full one eventually..

I suppose that theoretically you could donate, wait, donate again and so on...

Thanks for best wishes everyone

She was great on Tuesday sitting up in chair, walked me to the lifts but really down yesterday, she is fed up with tubes/needles and cried she just wants to go home, was very very sick Tuesday night and tired yesterday - consultant told us she was an unlucky one and this happens every 4/5 months which didn't help her. Then of course we had all the people who have had it done since come up to ward, come round and go home - now thats great and I'm happy for them but doesn't help my other half - fingers crossed for today - told her if healing itself she can go home Saturday

She had a stent fitted today and hopefully getting home on Saturday - downside she thinks she was told needs to go back in to get it removed in 3 months time

seems like it is emerging the gall bladder was lot worse than first imagined and some kind of clip they used damaged the liver

Sponsored Links
Back