Gap Between Garage Roof & Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hopefully a straightforward question (and hopefully I'm posting this in the right place), I have little to no DIY skills, but I'm working on it!

We have an old Garage/Outbuilding that has been in a state of disrepair since long before we bought the house. We finally have a bit of time and (a very tight) budget to try and revitalise it. I was aware of a hole at the top of the rear wall, below the roof. However I have been scraping away the old crumbling scratch coat and realised that this isn't a hole where the wall has crumbles away, or something but in fact a gap that runs the length of the wall. It seems the roof is basically sitting on some spacers. I've attached a couple of pictures that probably explain this better than I have...

I was looking for any advice on how best to fill this gap? We're obviously keen to make the building weather proof.

Thanks,

Matt

Attachments

• garagegap2.jpg
    garagegap2.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 503
  • garagegap1.jpg
    garagegap1.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 545
Sponsored Links
That's potentially for ventilation. If so, you could tack on a piece of plastic vent strip (aka soffit vent strip) to keep insects out

Otherwise a strip of timber on the inside, or a "quadrant moulding" nailed across the gap - but ideally you should avoid timber in contact with the brickwork, as this promotes rot from damp - so leave a slight gap and the seal with a mastic sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back