Gas fire and gas cooker in same room?

Richard has been most helpful but it sounds like the orange shield boys are out to try and put off another competent DIYer so they can cream more money out of the public.
Thanks for the compliment, maybe you’re a troll & maybe not; I’m trying to be unbiased & can sort of understand where you’re coming from as it seems all too easy to become a victim. Not all “tradesmen” (& I use that term loosely) are as wise as they should be but, with regulated trades, it should not be an issue & when mistakes or incompetence are apparent, it's all the more galling!

Your compliment is, however, somewhat backhanded as in no way do I agree with what you’re doing &, what appears to be, your total disregard for Regulations, which will ultimately come back & bite your bum. If your complaints are genuine, you seem to have had problems but all trades have their cowboys. IMO, the regulated trades should be correctly vetted & above that but it doesn’t seem to be the case &, after all, you don’t really have a choice unless adopting the cavalier view of ignoring the regulations which, despite the problem sit can bring, seems prevalent. Its one thing to be cavalier about general Building Regs. as many seem ill conceived, impractical & not to make a lot of sense; the odd unauthorised bog connection, tortured waste run, DIY window install or inadequate insulation etc. But mistakes on Gas & Sparks have a propensity for being fatal & I would urge you to reflect on the advice you’ve been given today.

Sponsored Links
I am a time served plumber with twenty years experience and have just completed four weeks training on gas at a cost of £2500 to be able to go into your home and be safe to fit your cooker only to be classed as a monkey. thanks a lot pal.

Although I can see the point of many of your posts, and although I am not a gas expert, I do think it may be beneficial for greengoddess's neighbours if some of the more experienced gas members offered some practical advice for piping in a cooker for greengoddess, even if he is going about it the wrong way. He seems determined to do the job himself so I think it may be better if he were to at least hear some proper advice on how to go about it.

Sponsored Links
it might be an idea to get a RGI to do a landlords test after installation on the pretence of letting the property. It does not cost that much [ so he/she would still save a bit of wedge] and at least that way the installation would have an onsite check/test by an independent third party, which is more than can be said for most if not all RGI installations.

Many thanks for that suggestion. That's a good idea and is something I hadn't considered. I would much rather pay someone to check the work rather than pay the extortionate Corgi rates for soldering a couple of joints together.

Richard C: Thanks again for your detailed advice. I obviously don't like the idea of risking lives and would never knowingly bodge a gas installation. As long as I can prove the new installation is free of leaks and avoid other obvious risks such as pipework and fittings being near sources of excess heat/ignition then it will be OK.

Like I said earlier, the only thing I don't understand is how teeing off a new gas feed to the cooker from the existing 15mm gas pipe to the fire can possibly be dangerous?

Although I can see the point of many of your posts, and although I am not a gas expert, I do think it may be beneficial for greengoddess's neighbours if some of the more experienced gas members offered some practical advice for piping in a cooker for greengoddess, even if he is going about it the wrong way. He seems determined to do the job himself so I think it may be better if he were to at least hear some proper advice on how to go about it.

Assuming this idiot isn't a troll, then the information he requires is available if he knows where to look. With his attitude to gas fitters he'd best not hold his breath while he's waiting to be told. As for getting a phoney landlord check after it's done , if the guy doing it finds anything immediately dangerous he'll ask permission to disconnect. If that's refused he'll get the gas supplier to do it externally. :LOL: :LOL:

if the guy doing it finds anything immediately dangerous he'll ask permission to disconnect. If that's refused he'll get the gas supplier to do it externally. :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the warning, I'll scrub that idea then.

Assuming this idiot isn't a troll, then the information he requires is available if he knows where to look.

This is what gets me about the Corgi clan. If you are GENUINELY concerned about gas safety then you would tell me where to find the required information. By deliberately not providing the information you are again trying to force my hand in my pocket to pay Corgi rates. Just like I said, this is more proof that Corgi is more about money than safety.

I had this argument with some government nuclear scientists just the other week. I wanted to build a reactor in my back garden and the dirty bstrds wouldn't tell me how to do it. If they'd only been GENUINLEY concerned about safety they would have given me the info. Especially as it's already readily available to anyone with a brain.
They must be trying to force me to put me hand in me pocket or sumfin. :LOL: :LOL:

Building a nuclear reactor in your back garden is illegal. Doing work on the gas system in your own home is not if you are competent.

Competent can be someone who already knows how to work properly with gas. Competent can also be someone (like me) who knows a little but then uses various information resources to expand his skills and knowledge enough to be able to safely carry out a specific task.

So, your argument is bogus. If safety is the primary concern of all knowledgeable gas engineers on this forum then they would provide all necessary information instead of trying to frighten people into paying into their Corgi pension fund.

So, your argument is bogus.

About as bogus as yours....claiming that you're interested in safety when all you really care about is not having to put your hand in your pocket you tight f&cker.
If you want to know how to do it go and get some gas training, got to go now, there's some people waiting to be ripped off. :LOL: :LOL:

in steps Akura

just what the rubber ducking hells going on here!

what has this country come to?

:confused:

So, your argument is bogus.

About as bogus as yours....claiming that you're interested in safety when all you really care about is not having to put your hand in your pocket you tight f&cker.
If you want to know how to do it go and get some gas training, got to go now, there's some people waiting to be ripped off. :LOL: :LOL:

I have no objection to putting my hand in my pocket but after the my last 3 experiences with the Corgi Conmen I now know that they are more interested in squeezing money out of you than gas safety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back