Gas fire and gas cooker in same room?

What OP is looking to do is hardly rocket science and most competent DIYers would be able to complete such a task, also the more likely scenario if fault/s is found when carrying out a landlords gas check is an agreable quote for the RGI to fix the fault/s. I'm surprised no replies so far regarding my point about the lack of independent third party onsite checks/tests of RGI installations. Were that idea to come into force I imagine RGI housewives would need to stock up on toilet tissues and sleeping tablets.

Sponsored Links
Doing work on the gas system in your own home is not if you are competent.

competence is having a level of skill, knowledge and experience to carry out a task professionally and safely without causing risk or harm to people or property. The fact that you are here asking questions means you do not fall into this category. Having the correct information to carry out the task DOES NOT make you competent and thats why no one is giving it to you. The very fact you think its just ok to Tee into a gas supply to one applianec appliance to add another shows how ill thought out your idea is and how little you understand. Clearly you will carry on regardless so I just hope for other peoples sake, who live around you that it isn't a disaster.

On another point you seem to have alienated every qualified gas engineer here by claiming we are all rip off merchant charlatans out to make a quick buck. Oh and by the way its not Corgi anymore its Gas Safe, Corgi is gone.
Its hardly surprising really that you've had idiots in your house when your obviously such a tightwad. Quality gas fitters/engineers/blokes/whatever don't work for tightwads, we suss them on the phone, we haven't got the time/patience to negotiate over price to service your boiler, or compete with 7 other people to fit your hob, we've got better things to do and better customers to serve who appreciate the work we do for them and are happy to pay a fair price for a quality job and not argue over price.

competence is having a level of skill, knowledge and experience to carry out a task professionally and safely without causing risk or harm to people or property. The fact that you are here asking questions means you do not fall into this category.

Of course I don't fall into this category... that's why I am here asking questions!!! By asking these questions I was hoping to increase my knowledge in this particular area. I was hoping to learn enough useful information so that I will effectively become "competent" enough to carry out this specific task. As I haven't started the task yet, I am not yet endangering anyone or anything.

Its hardly surprising really that you've had idiots in your house when your obviously such a tightwad.

Oh, so Gassafe now issue two types of qualification now do they? One for idiots who like ripping people off, and a different one for decent tradesmen.

The 3 Corgi Conmen I had doing jobs in my house were all British Gas and they certainly weren't cheap! But they were bloody useless!

Sponsored Links
Oh, so Gassafe now issue two types of qualification now do they? One for idiots who like ripping people off, and a different one for decent tradesmen.
The 3 Corgi Conmen I had doing jobs in my house were all British Gas and they certainly weren't cheap! But they were bloody useless!

no they don't issue qualifications they hold the register of "competent" persons.
If you've been ripped off thats another issue, its not an excuse to carry out illegal gas work. Most normal people would just be more careful who they choose next time, but we've obviously established your not normal.

Having the correct information to carry out the task DOES NOT make you competent and thats why no one is giving it to you.

you missed this bit

I am already competent at piping and soldered/compression joints, leak detection etc. All I need is the correct information for pipe diameter, run length and max permissable appliance load for the available gas flow. Once I have that information I will consider myself "competent" enough to carry out the task.

Legal "competence" can either be defined as some being competent enough to carry out the work to the same standard as Gassafe, or competent enough to carry out the work safely. I intend to become competent enough to do the work safely, not necessarily to meet the written rule of the Corgi Conman Bible banded around by the Gassafe quango.

i have a question for the greengoddess do you think we should abolish gas safe all together?

Doing work on the gas system in your own home is not if you are competent.

competence is having a level of skill, knowledge and experience to carry out a task professionally and safely without causing risk or harm to people or property. The fact that you are here asking questions means you do not fall into this category. Having the correct information to carry out the task DOES NOT make you competent and thats why no one is giving it to you. The very fact you think its just ok to Tee into a gas supply to one applianec appliance to add another shows how ill thought out your idea is and how little you understand. Clearly you will carry on regardless so I just hope for other peoples sake, who live around you that it isn't a disaster.

On another point you seem to have alienated every qualified gas engineer here by claiming we are all rip off merchant charlatans out to make a quick buck. Oh and by the way its not Corgi anymore its Gas Safe, Corgi is gone.
Its hardly surprising really that you've had idiots in your house when your obviously such a tightwad. Quality gas fitters/engineers/blokes/whatever don't work for tightwads, we suss them on the phone, we haven't got the time/patience to negotiate over price to service your boiler, or compete with 7 other people to fit your hob, we've got better things to do and better customers to serve who appreciate the work we do for them and are happy to pay a fair price for a quality job and not argue over price.

micky i wouldnt bother with this i am Agile mark 2, she is the type of person that thinks all black people can run really really fast, she is the type of person that thinks all Swedish people are blond, she is the type of person that believes the middle east is the sole answer to the worlds problems, i mean after all half the nation not to mention the govenment are clearly wrong in thinking gas work/practice is as casual a job as a furniture delivery service

Congrats on a brill posting, OP has got you all hook line and sinker and in his keep net, wish it was my posting ;) , now what was wrong with looking for a leak with a lit match or fairy liquid :rolleyes:
Thank goodness GORGI isn't the gas safety watchdog anymore and we can con old ladies with our orange logo's into thinking we are GasSafe without fear of being struck off, now lets all sing together, were in the money, were in the money lal la la
PMSL :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am already competent
at piping and soldered/compression joints, leak detection etc. All I need is the correct information for pipe diameter, run length and max permissable appliance load for the available gas flow. Once I have that information I will consider myself "competent" enough to carry out the task.

Some might question your ability to assess someone's competence.

Part of the problem is that unless you have completed ALL of the course there will be parts that you will not know about, purging and temporary bonds perhaps.

The only way that you can become genuinely competent is to sign up at your local college for a gas course ( or pay a private college about £4000 for a quick course ).

The people who seem to run fastest are often the ( black ) Kenya women and the ( white ) South African man with the unlikely name of Mr Oscar Pistorius who has artificial feet.

Tony

Tony

The only way that you can become genuinely competent is to sign up at your local college for a gas course ( or pay a private college about £4000 for a quick course ).

You are talking about being competent in the eyes of the Gassafe quango. The Gassafe definition of a competent person is someone who has forked out £4000 and posesses a certificate. In the eyes of the law, being competent does not necessarily mean someone who has the same skills/knowledge as a Gassafe tradesman, it means someone who is capable of dealing with gas fixtures in their own home without being a serious risk to life and property.

For example, I would consider myself competent enough to unplug a cooker bayonet hose and re-attach it (in my own home) and I am sure the law would agree with me even though I have no Gassafe certificate. But, I would not consider myself competent enough to remove an old NG boiler/tank system and replace it with an LPG combi.

You don't need the orange shield to do EVERY gas job in your own home so please stop telling people they're carrying out illegal work when sometimes they're not.

For example, I would consider myself competent enough to unplug a cooker bayonet hose and re-attach it

Just to clarify something, you don't have to be RGI to disconnect a cooker hose. Another point that someone has made which is about temporary bonding. Do you know what this is and why you would need it?? Do the right thing and find a compentent RGI. We do exsist!!

If you are on the wind up well done, you have clearly got alot of people involved who feel strongly about what you are about to do. It's fair to say that if you had bad experiences in the past with RGI's then that's a shame but you are tarring every RGI with the same brush.

As for coming on here and looking for advice to do this sort of work, some of the fault lies with these type of forums. Only yesterday I went to repair a boiler and the customer thought he had the answer before I opened the casing on the appliance, because he had been on a DIY forum. Of course he was way of the mark but this seems to be trend which is happening more an more lately, this type of work should be left to the professionals!

Just to clarify something, you don't have to be RGI to disconnect a cooker hose.

Just to clarify something else... you don't have to be RGI to do virtually ANY domestic gas work on your own property, whether that be disconnecting a hose or fitting 6 gas fires, 2 combi boilers and a gas Aga in an afternoon. That's my whole point and the reason for me becoming a target on here. I came on here for advice so I can do the job myself. That's how I work and that's how I've picked up all my experience over the years. I enjoy learning how to do things so that I know for next time. That's why I'm on here asking how to do this job correctly and safely. Instead, all I get is "Call Gassafe, contact an RGI, blah blah blah...." If that's all the help people on here can offer then why bother at all?

Another point that someone has made which is about temporary bonding. Do you know what this is and why you would need it??

Well, as you know, I'm just an amateur DIYer but as far as I'm aware, temporary bonding is simply providing a temporary continuity to earth when disconnecting or connecting gas pipes. In other words, a slightly over zealous piece of legislation that is probably read by many but ignored by most, especially in domestic applications. Certainly in my long DIY career I've never seen an RGI person use temporary bonding. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, especially if pipes are going to be disconnected for a length of time or if you are working in a hazardous environment, but for disconnecting a pipe in your own home for a few minutes while you solder a joint it's overkill.

Seems to have all gone quiet on here now. Would that be because it's come to light that I'm not a stereotypical DIY bodger?

Just get on with it man.

Take your cooker and your gas fire and demonstrate your competence to yourself. Some here were worried about you; just for the record, I'm not.

:D I think u might have been winding people up ???? any way all's well that end's well greengoddess :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back