Gas hob confusion...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so I am obviously not planning on tackling this as a DIY task, but I'm hoping somebody might be able to explain to me what is going to be required in order to save me getting over charged and also so that I know if I'm going to end up with a huge bill.

So at the moment I have a gas cooker. This is to be changed to a standalone gas hob fitted into the worktop which I know from a gas engineer friend of mine that you cannot use a flexi hose on such a thing like the cooker so I'm gonna have to get a gas engineer in to do some work for me. But I'm looking at what I have.. And what's needed and getting
Confused.

First off - the hob itself is fitted with a 1/2inch BSP female connection.. Like the current cooker.. Now this is not gonna fit to a 15mm copper pipe now
Is it? So i assume the engineer may remove this?

Then. The pipe coming out of the floor is not 15mm. It's quite big but I don't think quite 22mm. It then has some strange 90 degree thing attached to
It, with a bayonette for the cooker hose fitted into
That in 1/2 inch bsp again... So my question is basically -
Can this be adapted somehow to fit to the hob? Or is Mr Gas Man going to tell me that I need a whole new pipe?! And if so
How will it be done because I've not seen any adaptors like
This.. So is it going to be fiddly and as such cost me loads in labour?

Help?
To [/img]

Sponsored Links
You don't need to do or get anything - except a quote from an RGI. Subject to site conditions, it's a piece of cake.

Its probably half inch barrell. All pretty standard stuff.

I am a 'Registered Gas Installer' with CKR1 competencies, so I may be a little bit biased....

Get a another one in with the above 'ticket' (recommended by someone else who's judgement you can rely on). He will read, understand and act on the Manufacturers Installation requirements, to ensure among other things that there is adequate ventilation, clearances around the burners, a method of appliance isolation, an adequate gas supply and so and so on.

He will of course have to charge for this. I do too. As the last person on the job I have to take full moral and legal responsibility for the entire gas system in your house.

The skills required, training, Insurances, Gas Safe registrations, equipment required all have to be paid for, as much as the fact that I want to sleep at night knowing I have done a safe job.

Please remember its your safety and property thats at risk if not done properly.

OK, so if you are still reading this after all the above, you can rest assured that the hob is fitted corrctly and will do the job its meant to.

What may seem difficult to overcome to householders is 'what we do'. Thats why we have to charge accordingly. I would ask you to consider all the above before you exclaim "HOW MUCH?" Kitchen refits can cost a fortune - I fit cookers/hobs regularly in £30k + installs.

Rant over, and please enjoy your first meal cooked on your newly&safely installed hob.

DH

Sponsored Links
can anyone help? i have a problem with the brakes on my car, i dont intend to fix them my self but i just need some help so i dont get ripped off by a dodgy mechanic, my mate who is a car mechanic, ;) has advised i will need some bits, can anyone assist me?

PS do you think i should just save all the bother and get my fully qualified mechanic mate to fix the prob properly and without ripping me off?

Lol - as skeptical as some of you seem I will not be attempting this myself. I'm terrified of gas - I learned a healthy respect for it after almost singing off my face with the gas fire in my youth :p I'm an electrical engineer
By trade not a plumber.. So..

The only real answer I was looking for was to is it possible
With the existing pipework which is 50+ years old or are we going
To need a complete new pipe run?

As for my RGI mate - he may well be a registered installer - but id prefer not getting him to do it. Seems mates don't do as good a job as a pro.. He serviced my gas fire.. And managed to forget to replace the test nipple thing.. So the first time it got lit.. I ended up with a 2 foot jet of
Flame coming out the front of the fire... Hence
I'd prefer to pay someone so I know it'll be done properly!

And managed to forget to replace the test nipple thing.. So the first time it got lit.. I ended up with a 2 foot jet of
Flame coming out the front of the fire..!

:eek: , i agree those test nipples can be easily lost , but forgotten!! :rolleyes:

[

As for my RGI mate - he may well be a registered installer - but id prefer not getting him to do it. Seems mates don't do as good a job as a pro.. He serviced my gas fire.. And managed to forget to replace the test nipple thing.. So the first time it got lit.. I ended up with a 2 foot jet of
Flame coming out the front of the fire... Hence
I'd prefer to pay someone so I know it'll be done properly![/quote]

I thought you mate is a pro. (RGI) will you be mates much longer.?

Anyway, as I said, just get someone (who can see the job) to quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back